• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drillman88
    • Dec 2007
    • Southeast
    • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

Cast Iron Tub Rust Repair

I have made into tho bath rooms of my MIL's house. The tub is a cast iron and Pepto Bismol Pink. There is some rust on the outside of the tub under a lip. I guess condisation accumulated and caused the problem. It was covered with caulk and looks pretty bad both covered and uncovered. I guess at the widest it's about 3/8" and runs the length of the tub.

I was wondering if anyone has tried a repair similar to this. I know there are repair kits, but a little first hand experience would be nice.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Chris
    I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.
  • drillman88
    • Dec 2007
    • Southeast

I have been running this over in my mind and I think I may have come up with a workable solution. The trim in her bathroom is grey tile. I think I am going to clean the rust off as good as I can. Get some grey epoxy paint that is pretty close to the tile color and paint a pin stripe down the side of her tub. It may not be perfect but I think it should be presentable. Much more so than the white caulk that was there previously.

Comment

• conwaygolfer
      Established Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Conway, SC.
      • BT3000

Use painters tape for a guide. After painting, remove the tape for a nice straight line. Oughta look real nice.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• eezlock
        • Feb 2006
        • Charlotte,N.C.
        • BT3100

cast iron tub rust repair

If your epoxy repair doesn't work out the way you like....might want to check
        one of the ads I have seen on tv about a company called "Bath Fitters" or something like that. They claim to be able to restore porcelain coated fixtures
        in place, in one days time. I don't have any connection with them in any way,
        but just merely suggesting an alternative to the problem. I don't know of any
        other solution except replacement....but that is a very expensive solution
        and one I would not want to deal with.

Comment

• drillman88
          • Dec 2007
          • Southeast

Thanks for your suggestions. I was planning on using tape to give a clean edge to the stripe. I have read about the tub repair, both it and the replacement would be very expensive. The replacement would really mean demo'ing the whole bathroom and strarting over because the tub is tiled in. If she were planning to stay here that is probably what I would do. Since she wants to move, I am trying to keep the cost to a minimum and still get a 1960's pink bathroom as presentable as possible.

Comment

Working...