• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Generator Service Question

It's hurricane season here, and it's time for me to get the generator ready. We usually have about a week's notice with storm info, and I've been putting off the service. Actually, LOML has been on my case about it.

It's been about a year since it ran, and I'm sure I just ran the gas out. A problem I did have the last time was that upon pull starting it locked up. It was likely a rust build up on the cylinder walls. I opened it up and manually cleared it out using WD-40, and a big wrench.

So, this year, I was thinking that instead of trying to start it, just squirt WD-40 into the combustion chamber, and let it sit for a while. That may prevent having to do any disassembly. Any thoughts on this? Will the WD-40 make it hard to start? I would rather do a start up on fresh oil, so I'll likely change the oil again in case there is the possibility of contamination.
  • BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

I think you're in for a lot of tugging, maybe a couple shots of starter fluid would help.

In the future, use the WD-40 at the end of the season then leave it in until next year. That's what I started doing with my snow-blower several years ago and haven't had any problems since.
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• master53yoda
      Established Member
      • Oct 2008
      • Spokane Washington
      • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

use the WD-40 now and let it set over night and then start with starting fluid. that should work. I use fogging oil on my engines at the end of the season. Then a little starting fluid in the beginning of the season, Ive always got off to a good start that way. Ive also started using Sta-Bil marine fuel treatment, it has moisture inhibitors to deal with the ethanol in the gas.

good luck
      Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• Daryl
        • May 2004

I would probably start it up, just so I knew it would run, bring it up to temperature at least and then after it cooled squirt some regular motor oil in and distribute it. WD 40 turns into a varnish when it dries, it is not really a lubricant.
        Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

I'm with Daryl on this one Cman, go with the folks that have experience on this if you wish, but wd40 is a penetrating oil. I often find that it ends up "drying" out and does not lubricate for a long period. If there is scale on the cylinder wall, the wd40 may loosen it. If that won't pose a problem in your engine, then go for it. For longer storage between cycling the motor you may want to go with a synthetic oil.
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

hop

Daryl & chop: You guys were right. I thought...what the heck. I changed the oil, added gas (tank was dry because I ran it dry last time), and gave it some pulls. It started on the 5th pull. What a relief. Kudos to Honda engines.

Next...is the power washer. Maybe I'll get lucky again.

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
              • Dec 2005
              • Russell, NY, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

I have my generator installed on a fixed base, wired into the system that feds the house and the shop. Tired of having the gas problems (varnish, not to say the idea of having the equivalent of a half case of dynamite sitting there) I retro fitted it to propane, fed off the 80 gal tank for the house items and the shop heater. Routine maintenance is called for, but rather than oil/lube, I run it for 10 minutes every other month, under load. That keeps things lubed and dried out.
              A run chart on the wall reminds me when its due. Extra effort but small price to make sure it runs when I need it!
              RuffSawn
              Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• billwmeyer
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Weir, Ks, USA.
                • BT3000

Several years ago, I used WD-40 as a starting fluid. It worked great! I understand they have changed the formula now.

Bill
                "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• master53yoda
                  Established Member
                  • Oct 2008
                  • Spokane Washington
                  • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

Originally posted by cabinetman
                  Daryl & chop: You guys were right. I thought...what the heck. I changed the oil, added gas (tank was dry because I ran it dry last time), and gave it some pulls. It started on the 5th pull. What a relief. Kudos to Honda engines.

Next...is the power washer. Maybe I'll get lucky again.
                  I miss understood that it was seized up, If an engine will turn i wouldn't use the Wd-40 prior to starting it. The fogging oil at shut down when storing an engine will prevent any rust from forming so there isn't any problems with seize up when it is used.

good luck
                  Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• BobSch
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Looks like I've been lucky with my snow blower. I think I'll switch my end-of-season maintenance and get away from the WD-40.
                    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• KeythL

Ditch the WD-40...

WD-40 is not a lubricant nor is it really good for freeing frozen (read rusted) parts. It's a water dispersant (read surface cleaner/prep). You want to fog an engine that won't be used for long periods (a can of engine fogging oil will run you about $8.00 and on small engines will last for years). If you have an engine that's stuck, use Marvel Mistery Oil (it will break down varnish from bad gas and dissolve rust). I also really like Slick50 One Lube Aerosol spray for rust prevention and freeing parts...it works great.

A simple test to show how lousy WD-40 is, take a couple of cheap wrenches and spray one with WD-40 and the other with either Marvel or One Lube and leave them outside for a week. the WD-40 wrench will be frosted with rust...the other one won't.

Keyth

Comment

• cabinetman
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

Originally posted by L. D. Jeffries
                        I have my generator installed on a fixed base, wired into the system that feds the house and the shop. Tired of having the gas problems (varnish, not to say the idea of having the equivalent of a half case of dynamite sitting there) I retro fitted it to propane, fed off the 80 gal tank for the house items and the shop heater. Routine maintenance is called for, but rather than oil/lube, I run it for 10 minutes every other month, under load. That keeps things lubed and dried out.
                        A run chart on the wall reminds me when its due. Extra effort but small price to make sure it runs when I need it!

I like the propane idea. Can a portable generator (12 HP) be converted to propane? We have gas water heater, dryer, and range on propane (120 LB tank). If possible, is it feasible, and what would it cost (if you know)?

Comment

• billwmeyer
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2003
                          • Weir, Ks, USA.
                          • BT3000

Originally posted by KeythL
                          WD-40 is not a lubricant nor is it really good for freeing frozen (read rusted) parts. It's a water dispersant (read surface cleaner/prep). You want to fog an engine that won't be used for long periods (a can of engine fogging oil will run you about $8.00 and on small engines will last for years). If you have an engine that's stuck, use Marvel Mistery Oil (it will break down varnish from bad gas and dissolve rust). I also really like Slick50 One Lube Aerosol spray for rust prevention and freeing parts...it works great.

A simple test to show how lousy WD-40 is, take a couple of cheap wrenches and spray one with WD-40 and the other with either Marvel or One Lube and leave them outside for a week. the WD-40 wrench will be frosted with rust...the other one won't.

Keyth
                          WD-40 is a good penetrant. A simple test for this is to put water in a styrofoam cup and fill half full of water. Spray in WD-40 and in no time your shoes will be wet.

Bill
                          "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Russell, NY, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

There is an outfit in, I think W. Va that sells the change-over kit for propane conversions. Not in the shop right now but will look up the address for you. Can't tell you a price as mine was put in about 5 yrs ago, but at that time I think I had something like $150 in it. I know it works like a charm
                            RuffSawn
                            Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

Working...