Clear All
  • dtam
    Established Member
    • Mar 2006
    • santa clara, CA
    • delta 36-675

installing tackless strips to concrete floors

Hi,
    Is there a trick to nailing tackless strips to a concrete floor for carpet install. I'm not able to hit the nail square, and it ends up bent. Is there a nail gun that I can use instead? The tackless strips I'm using are specified for concrete floors.

Thanks
    David
  • conwaygolfer
    Established Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Conway, SC.
    • BT3000

If you go to a lumber supply house, they have a 22 caliper nailing gun for that type work. If not check another one. Not sure if HD or Lowes sells them.

Thanks,
    Conwaygolfer

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

The carpet guys I watched swung a 32oz (BIG!) framing hammer hard to set them.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• parnelli
        • Aug 2004
        • bt3100

Originally posted by conwaygolfer
        If you go to a lumber supply house, they have a 22 caliper nailing gun for that type work. If not check another one. Not sure if HD or Lowes sells them.
        +1 on the powder actuated nailer. a)it'll work b)it's probably overkill c)it's fun

by the way my BORG rents them cheap

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

True, true, you really have to hit it square and hard to drive that nail. Not sure if a concrete t-nailer would be faster for this, we often use them for nailing furring strips to walls.
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• dtam
            Established Member
            • Mar 2006
            • santa clara, CA
            • delta 36-675

I checked home depot, and they have the .27 caliber powder actuated nailer for rent. But how safe are these to use, and I read online that you have to be a licensed contractor to use them?

HF has a 13 gauge T nailer, but their T-nails are 1 1/2" long. I'm afraid they are too long to drive them all the way in.

I'll try the HF T nailer first, and if it doesn't work, probably rent the powder actuated nailer.

Thanks everyone for their help.

David

Comment

• WayneJ
              • Jan 2004
              • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

If all else fails use " Liquid Nails " Its a little messy if you have to replace it
              Wayne
              Wayne J

Comment

• billwmeyer
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Weir, Ks, USA.
                • BT3000

I used liquid nails on my daughters house. They were still stuck to the floor after house fire.
                Bill
                "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• sailor55330
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2010

I've used the .22 caliber powder actuated nailer when I was framing my basement. I wasn't really that impressed. About 1 out of 10 seated really well into the concrete floor and several just bounced off the concrete or chipped the concrete out instead of driving in. They are also very LOUD---you are shooting the equivalent of a .22 caibler hand gun in doors. I had borrowed the gun, so I was only out the cost of the ramsets & the cartridges. I ended up about 15 short so I bought some tapcon screws and a masonry bit for my hammer drill. They held 100 times better than the ramset nails. If it's only strips to hold the carpet in place, I think I'd experiment with the liquid nails. You might have to wait a day to dry, but much less work it sounds like. If you do go to route of a powder actuated nailer, you can buy them at big box stores and no license is needed, at least I didn't need one.

Comment

• dtam
                    Established Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • santa clara, CA
                    • delta 36-675

Yesterday, I tried using the tapcon to screw down the tackless strips (couldn't find the T-nailer at HF). It took 5 minutes to drill 1 hole using my brand new $32 HF VSR hammer drill, and the hammer drill was very hot.

So I gave up and this morning my carpet installer started installing the tackless strips. He's also having a very difficult time nailing down the tackless strips using just his hammer. After 2 strips, he asked me to get him some liquid nails.

I asked him if he could use a powder actuated nailer but he told me the cost of the required number of .22 cal charges and nails would be too expensive.

David

Comment

• chopnhack
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • Florida
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Sounds like a run of bad luck Dave.... the HF hammer drill probably doesnt have enough power for the task (i am judging this on my past use of HF power tools) and your installer was probably right on the money Your slab may have been a higher psi mix than the typical and so it is much harder.

Comment

• woodturner
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • Western Pennsylvania
                        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by dtam
                        It took 5 minutes to drill 1 hole using my brand new $32 HF VSR hammer drill, and the hammer drill was very hot.
                        Hammer drills are pretty much useless for drilling concrete, regardless of brand or quality. A drill chuck does not grip the bit well enough to work in a hammer drill.

An SDS rotary hammer will drill that hole in tens of seconds. HF has several in the $40 to $50. I think I paid around $100 for a refurb Bosch Bulldog at Amazon.
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• sailor55330
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2010

My rotary hammer drill was $29 @ HF 2 years ago. I bought a decent masonry bit and it went through the concrete like butter. The same concrete the .22 nailer bounced.

I figured for no more holes than I drill, the tool was essentially disposable.

Comment

• woodturner
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2008
                            • Western Pennsylvania
                            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by sailor55330
                            My rotary hammer drill was $29 @ HF 2 years ago.
                            I think I paid $15 for my HF, outlasted the Makita I borrowed from a neighbor.

It works OK in mortar and more contemporary, softer concrete. In the concrete in my old home, however, it is pretty much useless.

The problem is that much of the impact force is "lost" in the chuck. When I got the Bulldog with the SDS chuck, the difference was amazing to me. I use that for everything now.

If I had to pay $29 for an HF hammer drill, personally I think I would spend the extra $20 and get the rotary hammer with the SDS chuck. I think it is the chuck more than the hammer mechanism that makes the difference.
                            --------------------------------------------------
                            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• chopnhack
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 2006
                              • Florida
                              • Ryobi BT3100

+1 for the bulldog, I have drilled literally thousands of holes from 3/4" down to 5/16" in solid concrete and cmu and its like a hot knife through butter! Love that thing. I am a real fan of Bosch products because of that tool. Works great as a chipping hammer, mini jack hammer when in a pinch too.

Comment

Working...