• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

How Stable is Sta-Bil?

I've got to service some gas equipment...a pressure washer and a generator. It's been over a year since I've used them. I used Sta-Bil the last time (I think), as I have one large opened bottle about 1/2 full, and another one unopened.

The unopened one looks pretty dark, and I was wondering if it's still good. Can't find a date on the bottle, and I can't remember when I bought either bottle. The directions say it can be used for up to two years after opening. What are the thoughts on how effective they can be.
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

I have been using it for several years, ever since I had to pump about 30 gals of gas out of my boat. Hadn't used it in 2 years and it wouldn't run right.

I haven't had any problem with it turning dark, even stuff that was a year or so old.

Might give the mfg. a call and see what they have to say.

Ken

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Just to be on the safe side I'd toss it and buy a smaller bottle next time.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

None of the Sta-Bil I've used has discolored after opening. I'd toss it, just to be on the safe side. Sounds like some kind of contamination is possible.

Comment

• RAV2
          Established Member
          • Aug 2007
          • Massachusetts

I've had Stabil go bad!

I use a lot of Satbil in my back up gas cans for my generator. I usually rotate the gas every year of two to my car if it has not been used.

If you read the Stabil bottle, you will see a double charge will double the life of the protection. I also use 93 octane gas for storage purposes.

A few years ago I started to also use Seafoam. Seafoam has similar gas preserving properties and also cleans carbs of deposits.

A couple of years ago, I bought the big bottle of Stabil from the local hardware store - 32 oz?

I had 4 or 5 cans lined up in the back of my truck - adding measure doses of Stabil and Seafoam. I filled the first two with additives, went to the third, and when I looked back I noticed a lot of debris in the first can.

I looked at the bottle of Stabil and noticed particulates in the bottom of the bottle. A quick look at the expiration date on the bottle showed it was about 2 years old. The red material had crystallized and settled out.

I ran back home and cleaned the can out. I ran the Stabil thru a coffee filter and captured the crystalls. I was going to send it back to the company but never did - it dried to solid crystalls - like sugar.

From now on, I only buy the see-thru bottles (plastic - not metal cans) and get if from a place that moves their inventory faster; like the autoparts place.

Comment

• geopilot
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006
            • Lexington, KY, USA.

I've had Stabil crystallize before- nice bladed crystals you could easily see in the bottle. I called the company and tech support told me it was fine to use, the crystals would dissolve in the gas. I went ahead and used it without problem. Never happened again.

Comment

• Tom Slick
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
              • sears BT3 clone

I'm trying this stuff next time
              http://mystarbrite.com/startron/
              http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VMNHX8
              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...