• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ivwshane
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Sacramento CA

Add a window to a shear wall?

I have an exterior load bearing wall that is a shear wall (constructed via 2x4's with diagonal 1x6 bracing and stucco on the exterior). I would like to add a 2'x4' window, how do I do this while maintaining the shear rating?

I'm in California if that matters.
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

You probably still need to run it by a proper structural engineer, but I would think that adding structural sheathing with a good fastening pattern on the inside of the wall should be good. Probably want to take off the sheetrock on the inside and then rock over it once you have the plywood in place. That would be a whole lot easier than taking off the stucco.

You might not need to do anything either. Is the stucco put on over sheathing? It it real stucco (not EIFS)?
    Erik

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

Being he is California I doubt the stucco over lathe would contribute much towards the seismic codes, IMHO...I 2nd the engineer. It looks like it might be an unfortunate but necessary expense.
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• ivwshane
        Established Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Sacramento CA

The egineer will be coming tomorrow but I wanted to get a general idea of how to make this happen or if it is even possible.

Comment

• Tom Slick
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
          • sears BT3 clone

Framed correctly and the sheathing nailed correctly you shouldn't have a problem.
          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by chopnhack
            Being he is California I doubt the stucco over lathe would contribute much towards the seismic codes, IMHO...I 2nd the engineer. It looks like it might be an unfortunate but necessary expense.
            I'm not too familiar with doing any seismic designs either. We don't have to deal with it too much around here.

I would think that a real stucco installation would contribute some structural stability. If it's done with the metal lathe screwed into plywood sheathing (albeit short screws) a 1" thick panel of concrete would help some. I don't know how much, or even if it could be used in the calcs, but I think it would contribute.
            Erik

Comment

• ivwshane
              Established Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Sacramento CA

Unfortunately there is no plywood sheathing underneath the stucco

Comment

• Tom Slick
                Veteran Member
                • May 2005
                • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                • sears BT3 clone

Are the 1x6's butted to each other or skip?

Think about the fact that not that long ago nails with wire connecting them was considered "shear".
                Last edited by Tom Slick; 05-03-2010, 11:40 PM.
                Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• ivwshane
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Sacramento CA

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                  Are the 1x6's butted to each other or skip?

Think about the fact that not that long ago nails with wire connecting them was considered "shear".
                  Skipped. The 1x6 spans maybe 4 studs.

Comment

Working...