• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Electrical Load Question

The basement heaters are on a 220V 20A circuit. As per the nameplate ratings, they total 15A when all are on together. They are zoned to 3 different t-stats and AFIK are either on and drawing their max ratings or off, there is no in between. My FIL wants to add another heater with a rating of 5A to bring the total to 20 possible A. Question is, do I need to add a new circuit and rebalance them ? The heaters are a resistive and therefore predictable load, not variable like motors are.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • master53yoda
    Established Member
    • Oct 2008
    • Spokane Washington
    • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

Originally posted by crokett
    The basement heaters are on a 220V 20A circuit. As per the nameplate ratings, they total 15A when all are on together. They are zoned to 3 different t-stats and AFIK are either on and drawing their max ratings or off, there is no in between. My FIL wants to add another heater with a rating of 5A to bring the total to 20 possible A. Question is, do I need to add a new circuit and rebalance them ? The heaters are a resistive and therefore predictable load, not variable like motors are.
    minimum circuit ampacity is amps x 125% so 16 is maximum amps on a 20 amp circuit. If you add that heater to the circuit you will blow the breaker if it is on much more then 10 minutes with the others. You should add a new circuit.

good luck
    Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

Working...