• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Electrical Rough-In Inspection

I did not know that the inspector wants to see all the splices in the boxes. That is to say, he wants to see the splices done as part of the inspection, not that I had splices outside of boxes. I just had the wires stubbed into the boxes. That has changed. For the shop, I actually went a little too far and had the outlets in. On my dad's house addition 10 or so years ago, we just had the wires stubbed to the boxes for the inspection. Oh well. I will call tomorrow to see if anything else needs to be corrected.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • jziegler
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Salem, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks for posting this. I'll be having an electrical rough-in inspection in a week or so and was not sure which way they would want it for the inspection. Now I know.

Thanks

Jim

Comment

• docrowan
      • Mar 2007
      • New Albany, MS
      • BT3100

Jim,

Inspectors in different areas are notorious for wanting to see different things. You'd be better off asking around to see what the inspectors in your area want to see.
      - Chris.

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Yeah, I would ask. Sometimes even different inspectors in the same area want different things.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by crokett
          Yeah, I would ask. Sometimes even different inspectors in the same area want different things.
          Oh yea. We get that quite often. Hate it when that happens.

I've watched some GC foreman start arguing with the one that had a differing opinion.
          He went on about how all the other units passed with the same thing. He got handed a red tag, and had to uncover some old work to correct.

'Dude, don't piss off the inspector!'
          Last edited by pelligrini; 03-31-2010, 11:36 AM.
          Erik

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by pelligrini
            Oh yea. We get that quite often. Hate it when that happens.

I've watched some GC foreman start arguing with the one that had a differing opinion.
            He went on about how all the other units passed with the same thing. He got handed a red tag, and had to uncover some old work to correct.

'Dude, don't piss off the inspector!'

I totally agree. Inspectors may not let you know in advance what they look for, as that may be part of their strategy.

Comment

• jziegler
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2005
              • Salem, NJ, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100

Some issues that the contractor had with getting the permits combined with what you guys are saying really makes it sounds like many of the inspectors are trying to make things difficult. Well, I will ask and see what I can find out about what the local inspector wants for the rough-in.

Jim

Comment

• bthorne
                Forum Newbie
                • Oct 2007
                • Ruckersville, VA
                • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by jziegler
                Some issues that the contractor had with getting the permits combined with what you guys are saying really makes it sounds like many of the inspectors are trying to make things difficult. Well, I will ask and see what I can find out about what the local inspector wants for the rough-in.

Jim
                Jim,

I just had a rough-in electrical inspection on my garage last week, and our local inspector went out of his way to answer my questions prior to coming over to do the inspection. Since everything was exactly the way he had wanted to see it, it was a surprisingly painless event. Certainly won't hurt to contact the inspector before hand to check things out.

For me, he wanted all the romex run to the boxes, wire-nutted together, and pigtails installed. He also wanted all circuit breakers installed in the subpanel with the cover off, and the feeder cable run back to the main panel but coiled on top of it.

I'll post pics in another thread to prove it actually happened.

Good luck.
                --
                Bryan

Comment

• jhart
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

And sometimes the same inspector in the same area wants different things!!
                  Joe
                  "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Just got the email - passed the electrical rough-in so it is on to the insulation!
                    David

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2007
                      • Tacoma, WA
                      • BT3000

Just got the email - passed the electrical rough-in so it is on to the insulation!
                      Are you sure it's not an April fool joke?

Bill
                      confusion, it's not just for the confused anymore

Comment

• crokett
                        The Full Monte
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Mebane, NC, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Considering it came from the county and their website says the same thing, I am pretty sure it isn't.
                        David

Comment

• cabinetman
                          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

That would be some April Fools joke. I never thought of a County having a sense of humor.

Comment

Working...