• Show
Clear All
  • crybdr
    Established Member
    • Dec 2009
    • Lake Mills, WI
    • Ryobi BT3100

Carpet Seam Bumps?

I'm guessing that the pic below shows developing carpet seam 'bumps' in my basement. The carpet was installed before I bought my house (I bought in 2002). These ridges only showed up about a year ago.

They feel like seams, kinda sharp peaks in the backing and if you push down on them they yield but return. It's unsightly.

Has anyone out there dealt with this before? I'm guessing a carpet installer could come-in and re-seam/re-stretch the carpet?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I would get someone to come and give an estimate.

IF it is that the carpet itself is loose and there is not floor buckling problems, And IF I were younger, I would do what I did 10 years ago - I would get a knee kicker or carpet stretcher. I still have a knee kicker as shown here and used it for that project.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47337

Another kicker:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2692

And a stretcher:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93152

I don't know how well they will work for you but the top one was very helpful for me. I can't do that now as my knees won't take that kind of action!
    Last edited by leehljp; 12-29-2009, 11:29 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Hank's suggestions are good ones. Your problem is probably not seams, but just typical lateral stretching of the material.

Comment

• phi1l
        • Oct 2009
        • Madison, WI

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
        Hank's suggestions are good ones. Your problem is probably not seams, but just typical lateral stretching of the material.
        Agree, it looks like this is an exercise area? ... maybe some change in the type of activity about a year a go is responsible.

Comment

• sparkeyjames
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Redford MI.
          • Craftsman 21829

Carpet needs a re-stretch. I have seen the same thing in older installations say older than 10 years. Carpets loosen with age or activity.

Comment

• jaybee
            Established Member
            • Feb 2006
            • Regina, SK, Canada
            • BT3100-1

Back in the dark ages I spent a summer as a carpet layer. Carpets stretch in 2 dimensions - and some carpet stretches more in one direction than the other. So, get all the heavy stuff off the carpet and unhook it all the way around. Then, lightly stretch in both directions, and be prepared to trim at one or both sides.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by jaybee
              Back in the dark ages I spent a summer as a carpet layer. Carpets stretch in 2 dimensions - and some carpet stretches more in one direction than the other. So, get all the heavy stuff off the carpet and unhook it all the way around. Then, lightly stretch in both directions, and be prepared to trim at one or both sides.

That would be the way to go if the carpet is over pad. If it's a glue down you have a problem a little more difficult to solve.

Comment

Working...