• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Stabilizing Mail Box Post in December

My mailbox post has been somewhat loose since we moved in 3.5 years ago. It's been on the Honey-Do list since then. Well today, someone ran into the mailbox, and now it's VERY loose. I think LOML paid her to hit it...

Anyway, it's not in anything now, just the ground. No concrete or gravel or anything else. I would like to take it out, enlarge the hole, put it back in and "pack" it with something. Nahm always warns against concrete. I think he uses gravel or something. Concrete is out anyway, since it's now December, and nights are well below freezing.

The ground hasn't frozen too bad yet, so I should be able to dig fairly easily. Is this something I should do "right" now, or do a quick fix until the spring and then do it? What should I use to anchor the post?
    Joe
  • conwaygolfer
    Established Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Conway, SC.
    • BT3000

If the post is a 4x4 I would take a post hole digger and sink it about 2 ft. Place the post in and pack dry sacrete concrete mix around it. It will draw the moisture from the ground and harden itself up. No mixing. I have never had a problem with concrete around a post. Not sure why anybody would discourage using it? I just set 3 4x4x8 posts yesterday using this method and I guarantee they will stay.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• iceman61
      • Oct 2007
      • West TN
      • Bosch 4100-09

Originally posted by conwaygolfer
      If the post is a 4x4 I would take a post hole digger and sink it about 2 ft. Place the post in and pack dry sacrete concrete mix around it. It will draw the moisture from the ground and harden itself up. No mixing. I have never had a problem with concrete around a post. Not sure why anybody would discourage using it? I just set 3 4x4x8 posts yesterday using this method and I guarantee they will stay.

Conwaygolfer
      This is the way I have always done it & have never had trouble. As a matter of fact during a high wind this past spring, my neighbor fence was blown down & mine was still standing straight up.

Comment

• Wood_workur
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2005
        • Ohio
        • Ryobi bt3100-1

If you can find a reasonably warm day, an old blanket on top of the concrete is all you need to keep it warm if you decide to mix it up. It gives off a TON of heat as it dries, you just have to use that to prevent freezing.
        Alex

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

As was said, concrete will give off heat as it cures so it can be poured in winter. You either blanket it or add anti-freeze. If you don't want to use concrete, then make the hole bigger, put the post back in, get it plumb and fill with pea gravel. Some folks claim that putting it in concrete makes the post rot faster since water can't drain, but if the concrete is done correctly that is not an issue. The only post in concrete I've ever seen rot was one of the fence posts in our old house, and that was because the area was low and nearly always wet. The post rotted through just above the concrete. I busted the concrete off the post - I was curious and what was in the concrete looked fine.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• FL Buckeye
            Established Member
            • Aug 2005
            • WC Florida and Crossville, TN
            • BT3100, Grizzly 1023SL

I'd do it similar to what conwaygolfer suggested, except for where you live I'd go down at least 32", 36" if you can. You don't need the concrete mix all the way to the top so freezing isn't a concern. I doubt if you have any freeze depth yet. Do it on a Saturday after mail delivery. Pack the mix, pour in a half gal of water if you want, then pack backfill above that and tamp it as you go. You will surprised how firm the post is. Wait till Sunday afternoon to mount the mailbox. If it was just a post without the mailbox I would not add water, and if the backfill packs well don't even need the concrete mix. They also sell a quickset mix that would set up in an hour or less if the water is mixed in. I always had a problem going deeper than 2 ft with the post hole digger due to the handles hiting the sides of the hole as I got that far. An auger style would work better for me. And mounted on the PTO of my 8N was great.
            Lanny

The older you get, the better you used to be.

Comment

Working...