• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Bending Electrical PVC Conduit

Inspector came out and passed the trench for the shop wiring but told me that the direct burial rated wire must be run through conduit inside a structure. It comes through the floor then goes into the wall and up to the panel. I was planning on an LB, he says bending an offset would be easier. It is 1 1/2" ID PVC conduit. I was practicing with heating some 1/2" but can't get it to bend without kinking the inside radius of the bend. Somebody suggested plugging the ends. Any other suggestions? I was also thinking of getting 2 45s and seeing if I could get those to work.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

You can buy pre-bent 90 and 45 degree conduit sections, if that will work. I have bent my own, but had a heater device specifically made for that purpose.

Comment

• reddog552
      Established Member
      • Dec 2006
      • Belleville Il.
      • Bt3000

Bending PVC

Although they have a heat blanket made for PVC condit. The heat dosent get too high that the pipe starts to collapse witch causes the pipe to distort. I have heated up it up on an exhaust, Best on a loader or doser.It is still tricky enough,For the novice buy precast 90s.
      The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten!

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
        • Aug 2007
        • Minneapolis, MN
        • BT-3000, 21829

Pack the conduit with fine sand and plug the ends. Heat slowly with a heat gun. Rotate pipe to distribute heat.

Worked for me and I'm no rocket scientist!
        You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
        of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• JimDantin
          Forum Newbie
          • Nov 2009
          • Prospect, KY
          • BT3000

Why not just buy the prebent offsets and sweeping 90 degree bends from HD, Lowes, or wherever? MUCH easier than trying some DIY hack and then facing a disaster when you try to fish the wire.

The conduit run is forever if it's under concrete -- mistakes or shortcuts will really come back to haunt you. I had a contractor abrade the wires that were installed for a garage -- a couple years later a wire shorted out underground. Be very careful where you transition from direct burial to the conduit -- use abrasion-prevention bushings and leave plenty of slack in the wires.

Comment

• master53yoda
            Established Member
            • Oct 2008
            • Spokane Washington
            • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

I suggested this once before, so i will suggest again and go bang nails for the rest of the thread. turn on your gas BBG allow to get hot shut of the gas and put the conduit in let set in there for about 90 to 120 seconds. Take it out and make your bends on the floor for support and to prevent it from doglegging. I usuall have a cold wet towel to throw over it when the bend is made to bring the temp down fast. Do not move it from the floor for about 5 minutes.
            Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• smorris
              • Apr 2003
              • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Originally posted by eccentrictinkerer
              Pack the conduit with fine sand and plug the ends. Heat slowly with a heat gun. Rotate pipe to distribute heat.

Worked for me and I'm no rocket scientist!
              Exactly so. Fill it with sand and it will keep it from kinking the inside radius.
              --
              Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

There was another option. Was over at my folks today talking about it to my Dad. We went out to his workshop and bent the offset in about 5 minutes.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• woodturner
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • Western Pennsylvania
                  • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by crokett
                  There was another option. Was over at my folks today talking about it to my Dad. We went out to his workshop and bent the offset in about 5 minutes.
                  Would you care to share how you ended up doing it? ;-)

I've had the problems another poster reported where the conduit flattens at the bend. I'm very interested in hearing alternative methods to avoid that.
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• woodturner
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • Western Pennsylvania
                    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by master53yoda
                    Take it out and make your bends on the floor for support and to prevent it from doglegging.
                    With your method, have you had problems with the conduit flattening where it is bent? If so, how do you avoid that? I've not had success heat bending conduit without some kind of filler such as the sand suggested by another poster, so I'm interested in learning a better way.
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• master53yoda
                      Established Member
                      • Oct 2008
                      • Spokane Washington
                      • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

I've not had much problem using the BBQ, but I do have using a heat gun because of the inconsistent heating. I also use some compression force on the pipe which seems to help eliminate the flatening of the tube.
                      Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• crokett
                        The Full Monte
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Mebane, NC, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by woodturner
                        Would you care to share how you ended up doing it? ;-)

I've had the problems another poster reported where the conduit flattens at the bend. I'm very interested in hearing alternative methods to avoid that.
                        Yeah. The trick is to heat a much larger area than I was heating and to shape it with your hands to keep it from folding. The other thing to do is as you bend pull on the end to help stretch it. Wear gloves. We bent 1 1/14" and I have 1 1/2" coming through the floor so I decided to try bending 1 1/2" by myself today. It took a while and the bend is a bit lumpy but it worked.
                        David

Comment

Working...