• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by cabinetman
    Scott, nice project, looks great. What kind of vent/stack/chimney will show from the outside?
    It'll be a double vented pipe with a small cap poking through the back of the chase about 6' up from the ground outside.

Yesterday, I roofed the chase, insulated, and got the final floor and about 75% of the drywall installed. Still need to fish some wire, frame in the final nailers to required clearance spacing, and think through the gas connection. The firebox should arrive next Wednesday, gas line should be installed shortly after, but won't be able to get it inspected until probably the following Wednesday.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Progress update:

We have fire! There's still a lot of work ahead, but the firebox is in, the gas line is in, and the vent is temporarily installed.

I ended up installing the gas line and doing the fireplace installation myself. Partly to save money, partly because I wasn't ever sure when and if the contractor was coming, as he wan't too good about returning calls. I made the decision to proceed without him on Thursday morning....he called Friday late morning and I was done. I did pay him $75 to inspect and test the line...money well spent for the peace of mind.

That shaved nearly $700 off the total cost. I had never done gas pipe before, so I was pretty pleased with the way it went. 43 feet of black pipe, 10 elbows, 2 Ts, 2 valves, one union. It was kind of a nerve racking pain the butt, but it all went together fairly well considering it wasn't a very straight forward shot, and much of it was in the crawl space. Had to break into the existing line near the furnace, up to the floor joists, over and thru the original basement block into the crawl space. We celebrated having fire and the big savings by taking the family out to dinner. (but the savings just shrank to $600!)

Pics of current progress pending...

A fairly big project. Onto the inspection, vinyl siding, surround, then mantel ...more to come!
      Last edited by Knottscott; 10-03-2009, 09:11 AM.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

Sorry, but I haven't seen this thread for some time.
        Originally posted by Knottscott
        Ed - That fireplace looks great...you've got me thinking about an extended hearth now.
        I only posted the pic to give you something else to consider. That kind of hearth is not for everybody, but we enjoy it. Glad to hear you have a fire. You'll enjoy it a lot.

Originally posted by billwmeyer
        Ed62,

That is an interesting piece of furniture on the left side of of your photo. What is that?
        Bill
        Bill,

That's a bookcase I built years ago, before I had any real tools or knowledge (still lacking on the knowledge side). My wife painted the door panel. It's not something I'm proud of, but she loved it, and still does. So it stays.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• ragswl4
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Winchester, Ca
          • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by Knottscott
          Progress update:

We have fire! There's still a lot of work ahead, but the firebox is in, the gas line is in, and the vent is temporarily installed.

I ended up installing the gas line and doing the fireplace installation myself. Partly to save money, partly because I wasn't ever sure when and if the contractor was coming, as he wan't too good about returning calls. I made the decision to proceed without him on Thursday morning....he called Friday late morning and I was done. I did pay him $75 to inspect and test the line...money well spent for the peace of mine.

That shaved nearly $700 off the total cost. I had never done gas pipe before, so I was pretty pleased with the way it went. 43 feet of black pipe, 10 elbows, 2 Ts, 2 valves, one union. It was kind of a nerve racking pain the butt, but it all went together fairly well considering it wasn't a very straight forward shot, and much of it was in the crawl space. Had to break into the existing line near the furnace, up to the floor justs, over and thru the original basement block into the crawl space. We celebrated having fire and the big savings by taking the family out to dinner. (but the savings just shrunk to $600!)

Pics of current progress pending...

A fairly big project. Onto the inspection, vinyl siding, surround, then mantel ...more to come!
          Congratulations! Especially on doing a lot of the work yourself. Running the gas pipe is a pain for sure but the satisfaction of doing it probably feels pretty good. We can accomplish a lot of things if we just try and the savings is nice as well. I always think about what new tool goodies I could buy with the money that was saved. Enjoy!
          RAGS
          Raggy and Me in San Felipe
          sigpic

Comment

• billwmeyer
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Weir, Ks, USA.
            • BT3000

Thanks for the reply Ed. Your bookcase looks great and your wife did a good job with the painting.

Bill
            "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I promised some pic updates quite a while ago. Work is progressing on the mantel now, and am waiting for vinyl siding for the chase. Also waiting for the brick liner and doors to come in for the fireplace. Still need to choose a material for the surround too (a job that only "Mrs. Knotscott" can do!).

Now if the cold weather would just hold off until I'm done!

Last edited by Knottscott; 10-16-2009, 05:59 AM.

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

It makes me feel warm just from looking at it. You're doing a great job on it. Don't worry if the cold weather gets here too soon. You just need a good book and a fire.

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Charlie
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2009

Deleted by me.
                  Last edited by Charlie; 10-24-2009, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Progress Report

Here's the latest on this project. The chase is buttoned up with vinyl siding, the mantel is built and stained, and has one clear coat. A decision on the surround material still is still pending...(the black is just painted drywall to tide us over)

Last edited by Knottscott; 12-01-2009, 03:55 AM.

Comment

• garymuto
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2007
                      • Encinitas, CA
                      • Delta Cabinet Saw

It looks really nice. Thanks for sharing the progress.

Comment

Working...