• Show
Clear All
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Foundation repair

Friend has a "little crack" in the foundation ;-) Asked me for advice (I'm an engineer, but not that type). He has gotten quotes from the piering/waterproofing contractors ranging from $2,500 to $30,000, and none of them really seem to understand the problem or really how to fix it.

The crack is near a corner under the basement window. It appears to me that the footer has cracked and the corner has dropped. There is a downspout at that corner that drains into an underground tile that was apparently clogged, so I think the water eroded the dirt under the footer. The downspout is now fixed, but the crack got bigger and is still moving a bit seasonally.

Anyone dealt with this kind of problem and have any advice on finding a competent contractor to fix it? The house is in Western Pennsylvania.

Thanks.
    Attached Files
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night
  • drillman88
    • Dec 2007
    • Southeast
    • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

I would think this could be repaired with concrete jacking, I have seen similar things done.

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concr...ab_jacking.htm

There are many factors involved and this may not be feasible or the best way to handle it. The main company does this type of work in our area is Ramjack.
    I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• Hellrazor
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Abyss, PA
      • Ridgid R4512

Is the basement floor cracked too? Did the wall seperate from the floor?

Also... check the floor above this to see if it sagged or not.

Comment

Working...