• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Flickering Lights

In one of our bedrooms we have two nightstand lamps, and a ceiling fan with lights. They are likely on the same circuit, where the fan retains a hot leg that's switched to the wall. We leave that switch on, and use the pull chains for the fan and its speeds, and the fan lights.

The night stand lights are a "touch to" on/off (3 levels). With the night stand lights off, and the fan switched on, or the fan lights switched on, the nightstand lights flicker momentarily, but don't come on. Doesn't seem like a devastating problem, but I'm wondering why. Any thoughts?
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

It might be the touch switches in the nightstand lamps. These things are all solid-state, which means there is no mechanical "off" position where actual switch contacts are physically open. Basically, the power is sitting there held back by a large bi-directional transistor (a triac, usually) and small, momentary downstream "leaks" are possible, particularly if the line current is switched off and on. I think (particularly where cost and space limitations exist) that they've never really got the bugs totally worked out of these type of circuits.

Comment

• MilDoc

Yep. What UC said. I gave up on touch lights. Had a set that turned on when the alarm clock sounded, flickered when the fan was switched on, and other odd behavior. Many times depends on what else is on the same circuit, but too buggy for me.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by MilDoc
        Yep. What UC said. I gave up on touch lights. Had a set that turned on when the alarm clock sounded, flickered when the fan was switched on, and other odd behavior. Many times depends on what else is on the same circuit, but too buggy for me.

We had "clap on, clap off" lights on nightstands that were a gift. They worked pretty good for a while until they decided they wanted an ovation every time.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
          Veteran Member
          • May 2003
          • Nanuet, NY, USA.
          • BT3100

Hey Cab,

I suggest you try an Exorcism.

Bruce
          "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
          Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• WayneJ
            • Jan 2004
            • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

The touch type light in our bedroom turns on and off by itself.We kid and tell each other that the ghoust of the past owner is visiting again. It never happens when we are in the room. Always thought it to be a static discharge of some type.
            wayne
            Wayne J

Comment

Working...