• Show
Clear All
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

20,000 Drywall Screws Later

We are nearly finished with drywall installation. Only the master bath (LOML still moving the plumbing around) and curved staircase wall remain to be completed. The Senco Drywall screw gun has been a lifesaver for us. The majority of the time was spent drywalling all the windows and doors. Lot of cutting to do those items. So here's a few pics of some of the rooms. Not too exciting to look at but feels great to us as the place is now feeling like a home rather than a project. We are all very, very tired but still trucking along. Looking at Dec 09 as the occupancy date with 6 months to a year for interior trim work. Still gotta finish the kitchen cabinets which have been on hold for months due to other work. Retirement is hard work.
    Attached Files
    RAGS
    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
    sigpic
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Originally posted by ragswl4
    Still gotta finish the kitchen cabinets which have been on hold for months due to other work.
    Which is, I presume, the whole point of thing! I mean why engage a big project if you can't get some woodworking shoe-horned into it?

It's looking good, Rags. Keep it up!

JR
    JR

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

Looking good! It is a big thing to finally cover the walls.

Rocking that curved stair is going to be fun. If you are doing hardwood trim around that niche, that will probably be even more fun. Triming out curving stairs will probably put a couple wrinkles in your forehead too.
      Erik

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Rags, that looks really really good. Now just think about all the fun you will have running the tape on all that drywall.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by crokett
          Rags, that looks really really good. Now just think about all the fun you will have running the tape on all that drywall.
          My thought, too. About 150 hours worth!
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• ragswl4
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Winchester, Ca
            • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by Pappy
            My thought, too. About 150 hours worth!
            Man I hope I'm that lucky. Then there is the sanding, priming, texture, painting, et al. We used over 200-4X12 sheets. Actually it went much faster and easier than I had envisioned. We had a 5 man crew for one week (all family+1) just to do the ceilings (approx 2500sqft). My only regret is letting someone else run the screw gun as I am now going back to "sink" about half the screws to the proper depth. God bless the guy/gal that invented the impact driver.

PS: Got a stepson that has a remodel business that has volunteered to help with the tape and mud. Me and the wife are worn down to a nub doing this drywall gig.
            RAGS
            sigpic

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by ragswl4
              PS: Got a stepson that has a remodel business that has volunteered to help with the tape and mud. Me and the wife are worn down to a nub doing this drywall gig.
              Take him up on it. Also, I dunno what your budget is but you might want to think about seeing if any of his guys want to work that day too. I can tape and mud well, or fast. I can't do both.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• ragswl4
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Winchester, Ca
                • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by crokett
                Take him up on it. Also, I dunno what your budget is but you might want to think about seeing if any of his guys want to work that day too. I can tape and mud well, or fast. I can't do both.
                For sure I'm taking him up on it. My wife is pretty good at it but I have never done it before and after all the work so far we don't want to skimp on the final touches. As for the budget, that was blown a long time ago but mostly due to our under estimating. Not an issue at this point as we will get past the final inspection with no financial issues and then take our time finishing the inside. Priority is to get the final.
                RAGS
                sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2003
                  • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                  • BT3100

Hey Rags,

Even if you stop at this point, and do nothing else, you have one killer of a house.

Can I come and live with you. You guys should be really proud with what you've achieved.

Bruce
                  Last edited by Bruce Cohen; 08-18-2009, 06:22 PM. Reason: I suck at spelling
                  "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                  Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Jim1
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Hill Country in Texas
                    • General 650

Thanks for the update.

Jim

Comment

• ragswl4
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Winchester, Ca
                      • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
                      Hey Rags,

Even if you stop at this point, and do nothing else, you have one killer of a house.

Can I come and live with you. You guys should be really proud with what you've achieved.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, we can't wait to finish and start enjoying the new home. We are sure to be proud of it once its finished. Most of all I am proud of my wife who works full time and then 12 hours each day on the weekend. There seems to be no end to her energy.

For now its one day at a time but man we are sure alot closer than we were a year ago. I keep thinking that I will get stronger with each day of work but alas it seems I just get more tired.

You are welcome to come live there for a couple of weeks, just bring your trowel, mud and sanding pole. We only have three walls left to drywall but of course they are the hardest ones. Full of windows.
                      RAGS
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...