• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Changing an old outlet box

LOML has had me decorating for the last few weeks so not much shop or posting time for me

I have a few electrical outlet boxes where one of the fixing points for the recepticle are broken. These are the old metal type that I would guess are nailed into the stud behind the drywall.

Has anybody come across a way to fix these without having to rip out a whole section of the drywall and replacing the boxes?

Help please as the last coats of paint are due to go on this weekend and if I can get this job finished I can get back in the shop
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

I've never done it, but there are remodel boxes out there that shouldn't need drywall cutting.
    Erik

Comment

• Eric
      • Jun 2003
      • Cocolalla, ID
      • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

Yeah, there's remodel boxes that have clamps that clamp against the drywall. Just need to get the old box out of the way, run your wires into the box, put the box into the existing hole and clamp the new box against the drywall. Then wire in the outlet.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Originally posted by Eric
        Yeah, there's remodel boxes that have clamps that clamp against the drywall...
        Eric, I can't imagine anything clamping to drywall that would stand up very long to the push/pull forces with plugging/unplugging - how does this work?

I'm old school - not understanding the concept above, I'd probably open the wall, and make sure a new box is securely anchored to the stud.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Its not the new box thats the issue. I have used the remodel type before when putting in totally new outlets and they work really well.

The question is how do I get the old box out when it must have been nailed to the stud in an area thats now covered by drywall. Without of course ripping off the drywall??
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• Daryl
            • May 2004

Originally posted by poolhound
            Its not the new box thats the issue. I have used the remodel type before when putting in totally new outlets and they work really well.

The question is how do I get the old box out when it must have been nailed to the stud in an area thats now covered by drywall. Without of course ripping off the drywall??
            You will probably have to sneak a hack saw blade between the box and stud, tedious but it works. Push the wires out of the old box and let it fall between the studs if it won't easily come out.
            Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• chrisk
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2008
              • Mankato, MN
              • Craftsman Professional 21829

I've been successful at prying between the box and the stud, assuming you can expose it. Screws or angled nails may make it tough, though. That's when the recip saw can come in handy (assuming you know where the wires are). Oversized plate covers or spackle can be necessary in that situation.

Are there any other points or ways to secure the outlet to the wall? Especially with one good point secured to the box, I'd look that route before tearing anything up.

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

I've replaced several boxes that have the same problem yours does and because I wanted a 2-gang box in that spot instead of a single-gang. If you want to replace the box, cut the nails/screws that hold it to the stud with a hacksaw. They make a close-quarters handle for a hacksaw blade or you can clamp a vise grip on the blade. I prefer a hacksaw to a sawzall because I've torn the box off and wrecked drywall with a sawzall.

The replacement box you want is called an 'old work' box and you can get them at Lowes/HD. It has two wings at opposite corners. You fold the wings flat against the box, slide it into the hole then start screwing in the screw. The wing unfolds and eventually clamps against the back of the drywall. They work very well.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• newbie2wood
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2004
                  • NJ, USA.

I use a sawzall with a short 4" blade. The blade is inserted between the side of the box and drywall. Just make sure the tool is pressed against the wall to prevent the tool from recoiling.
                  ________
                  BOX VAPORIZER REVIEWS
                  Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Working...