• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ivwshane
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Sacramento CA

Washer box questions

I'm looking for some laundry room ideas and have come across a few but I'd like to know where or what these people did for the washer hook ups/drain.

Are there any kind of codes I have to follow? Does the shut off valve have to be easily accessible (if not I'm sure it's preferred)?

As opposed to something like this:

or

Last edited by ivwshane; 07-21-2009, 01:34 AM.
  • conwaygolfer
    Established Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Conway, SC.
    • BT3000

Our washer hookup is like your last pic. But it is below the washer top so that it cannot be seen. The stand pipe is above the top of the washer tub, but still below the top where the controls are. So it is all out of sight. This arrangement would work in a cabinet design like your pic showed.

Personally, I would like to have a little quicker access to the shut off valves in case I had a leak.

Thanks,
    Glenn

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Most washer hookups are bulky, made up of two gate valves and a drain. Being able to get to them easily is a plus. Having them behind or on the side will keep the machine from seating to the wall. Even as a minimum with a recess in the wall, the supply lines and drain still run between the wall and the machine. It's a matter if you care to see them. Having them in view will permit faster access than having to pull out the machine.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

That second pic probably has them below the counter in a box in the wall. Those do look better, but they can be a real PIA to get to. The water hoses & drain tubes are only so long, they don't leave much room to get behind the appliance to hook them up. If something goes wrong, it can be an even bigger PIA. Ever try moving a full washer?
        Erik

Comment

• just started
          • Mar 2008
          • suburban Philly

Do yourself a favor and get one of these
          http://www.watts.com/pro/divisions/w...ntelliflow.asp
          and also the steel-braid covered hoses. Max protection for peace of mind.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by just started
            Do yourself a favor and get one of these
            http://www.watts.com/pro/divisions/w...ntelliflow.asp
            and also the steel-braid covered hoses. Max protection for peace of mind.

That's a pretty cool device. I also like the sensor and timer.

Comment

Working...