Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SARGE..g-47

If you don't have one already.. organize a "neighbor-hood watch" which the local police will often aid you and offer training. If nothing else... a street watch for your street. If everyone simply pays attention to strangers walking in the hood... cars driving very slowly through (write down the tag number) or anything suspicious or seems out of place.... surprising how burgularies drop in percentage.

Good luck...

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
      If you don't have one already.. organize a "neighbor-hood watch" which the local police will often aid you and offer training.
      Here's irony for you... Our little single-street, 18-home development has organized a Neighborhood Watch. Last year, while we were gathered at one neighbor's home for a "refresher course" at the behest of our local PD, one of our homes was broken into, and a computer and 60" plasma TV were stolen...

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

hehe, Wonder if there was some inside information going on..
        Erik

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

My black lab (gentle as a lamb) understands the command "protect." If a sales person knocks at the door, he will bark. If I say "protect," he starts growling and bearing his teeth. He looks pretty vicious.

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
            Here's irony for you... Our little single-street, 18-home development has organized a Neighborhood Watch. Last year, while we were gathered at one neighbor's home for a "refresher course" at the behest of our local PD, one of our homes was broken into, and a computer and 60" plasma TV were stolen...
            That is pretty funny. Sounds like an inside job.

We have a neighborhood watch and a lot of vocal neighbors. If I see
            something suspicious, I call my neighbor and ask her if so and so should be in
            her yard. If not, then I call 911. Haven't had to call 911 yet, but she's
            appreciated the other calls.

Paul

Comment

• Kristofor
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2004
              • Twin Cities, MN
              • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
              Someone kept stealing the Neighborhood Watch signs where I used to live. At least 3 signs, 4 times. Not sure what the message was (probably junior high kids...)

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                The Full Monte
                • May 2007
                • Sunshine State
                • BT3000

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                Sounds like an inside job.
                Nah. We are a small mid-upper development marooned in an area with a heavy concentration of low-income communities. Everybody here now has alarms and are conspicuously vigilant and well-armed. Two B&E's interrupted since that meeting last year, one burglar killed, two more wounded. The word is apparently out, as the trouble has since moved elsewhere. Shame it had to come to that.

Comment

• eezlock
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Charlotte,N.C.
                  • BT3100

Deterring amateurs

The overpowering sound that a 12ga. pump shotgun makes when a shell is being racked into the chamber,(especially in the dark of night) will stop the biggest, meanest, toughest criminal alive! They all know and recognize that sound.

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by dbhost
                    One blessing about LOML being unemployed is that there is almost always somebody at my house nowadays. While her aim isn't perfect, she can break clays right there with me on the skeet range. I'm sure she can hit a moving target...

Not 100% certain, but I think Texas, and the Houston metro area in particular are doing better than a lot of the country. Then again I think the South is weathering this better than the norther tier of states. Not too many big banks or car manufacturers here...
                    Could be it has something to do with a high percentage of houses with gun owners. Three in my house, all loaded.

They are starting on the ground work for subsidized apartments on the other side of the tracks from me. I need to fighure out how far away I can put a round between the feet and still be heard to explain, "That wasn't a miss, stand still until the sheriff arrives and I won't have to prove it."
                    Last edited by Pappy; 07-22-2009, 11:32 PM.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• Kristofor
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2004
                      • Twin Cities, MN
                      • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Originally posted by Pappy
                      Could be it has something to do with a high percentage of houses with gun owners.
                      http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...LEONHARDT.html

Maybe, but it looks like it's worst on the west coast, then all of the states between Michigan and Florida. The left coast folks aren't known for their love of firearms, but that middle/southern chunk of the country seems like they are at least stereotyped as being gun folks...

Comment

Working...