• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Window Coverings For The Cabin

My FIL asked me about window coverings for the cabin for the winter to protect them from the sun exposure. We have until next summer to figure this out but he is a worrier who would feel better having a plan. I suggested shutters but after looking at the window layout they are not really workable. Most of the front is windows and there is no place to fold the shutters back to. He is ok with removing them for the summer then putting them back on when the cabin is shut for the winter.

Constraints are tools and time and budget somewhat. It needs to be simple to construct - lack of tools and time. I would help during our week up here next year. Otherwise he would need custom and he can't afford that. For tools he has circ saw, drill and hammer - the basics. I suggested PVC to him. It is initially higher priced but is stable and doesn't need maintenance like wood will. What I was thinking was a frame the same size as the window frame with slats similar to shutters. This would let air circulate and keep water from being trapped. I would make the slats as wide as possible to speed construction and this would all be held together with stainless screws -nothing exotic like dados, etc given the time and tools constraints. I might do lap joints at the corners of the frames. Is there a glue that could reinforce the joints? Any other ideas? If I made it a simple frame/panel would a 1/4 or 1/2 spacing off the window frame all the way around allow enough air to circulate? There should not be any direct exposure to water - this is all under an eave.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Instead of building a PVC shutter why not buy some of the pre-made ones and just build a sinple frame, they could even be the cheaper decorative ones?
    Erik

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

I am not sure pre-made will fit the windows. The cabin was hand built by my MIL's parents 60 years ago and I would guess the windows are non-standard dimensions. I guess we can check. These also aren't really shutters. They would be louvered like shutters but would be removable for the months they are at the cabin.

Another idea I had was something frameless that is made out of something similar to decking boards connected together with hinges. For storage you just fold them up accordion-style.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

OK, I was thinking of using several of the decorative ones fastened together. Doesn't really have to match the window opening, just cover it. They get stuck onto the walls of a lot of houses around here next to windows. They're not functional, but inexpensive. I replaced several rotting wood ones on my mom's old house with some plastic ones. They were pretty lightweight too. I was thinking of your FIL putting them up & down.

Your hinged idea would be cool, but there would be a lot of hinges. For example: a single 4' wide window with 6" boards with only two hinges per leaf would take 16 hinges.
        Erik

Comment

• Kristofor
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2004
          • Twin Cities, MN
          • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Sun exposure is not often a concern in the winter in Northern Minnesota... In the middle of December in Brainerd the sun will make it all the way to ~20° above the horizon and visible for less than 9 hours per day. The atmosphere is blocking most of the UV radiation at that point.

The amount of radiation received when the shutters are off in May-Aug will be several times what the cabin will see in the whole off-season. So, you may want to revisit the ability to close them between visits or whether it's worthwhile to move forward at all?

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Kris, I will point this out to my FIL. I wondered about this myself but I also live where we get a lot more sun, especially in winter.
            David

Comment

Working...