• Show
Clear All
  • Rich P
    Established Member
    • Apr 2003
    • Foresthill, CA, USA.
    • Powermatic 66 (1966 vintage)

Lacquer on brass

I'm starting a bathroom "facelift" and some of the bright lacquered brass fixtures have the typical spots of tarnish when the finish has failed. I grabbed a can of Staybrite from Woodcraft but before I launch into this thought I would check if anyone here has experience doing this process.
    Don't ever ask a barber if you need a haircut.
  • frumper64
    Established Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Garland, Tx, USA.

Experience - yes
    Success - no

Good luck,
    Jim
    64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• dlminehart
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • San Jose, CA, USA.

Don't know if Staybrite is the name but I did use some spray lacquer designed for brass to seal a brass mailbox I'd cleaned up. Had done the cleanup once before without following up with spray, only to find the tarnish returned within a couple months. The box with lacquer spray still looks like new two years later.

Of course, the mail box gets little handling compared to a faucet. Don't know how the spray lacquer would hold up in such a situation. Also, note that I sanded the mailbox down to nice clean brass before lacquering. Don't know if that makes a difference.
      Last edited by dlminehart; 03-19-2009, 06:15 PM. Reason: added "designed for brass"
      - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
        • May 2003
        • Orlando, FL, USA.
        • BT3000

Check the mfg's warranty. The finish may be guarenteed ?? Worth a try.

- Lonnie
        OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• Rich P
          Established Member
          • Apr 2003
          • Foresthill, CA, USA.
          • Powermatic 66 (1966 vintage)

Unfortunately no warranty and as it turns out this was not a failure of the original lacquer but of the brass plating. The fixture in question was brass but I guess the mfgr decided to plate it and then polish the plate.

OTOH, I "practiced" on a copper and brass tea kettle where the lacquer had failed. A thorough go over with acetone, polish with Wrights Copper Polish and a spray with Stabybrite and it looks good as new (at least the wife is happy). It's decorative so should hold up for another 10 years (I hope).
          Don't ever ask a barber if you need a haircut.

Comment

Working...