• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

Granite Back Splash

My daughter has found some 3/8" granite tile (12"x12") that she wants to put on her kitchen cabinet backsplash. I have installed the 4" small tile and also have some 6" ceramic tile installed as backsplash in our house. No problems.

Her backsplash is painted non-textured sheetrock. Do you think the unsanded(I think that is the term) adhesive would hold it sufficiently? Would any additional prep be needed for the surface before installation?

TIA
    Ken
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

standard thinset will suction fine over the paint. The unsanded you are referring to is the distinction of grout. That is there are two grades of grout and depending on what size joint and where it will be used determines if you use sanded or unsanded grout to fill the joints. Typically on floor joints and joints 3/8" and over you use sanded grout. Wall tile with fine joints you can use unsanded.
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by chopnhack
      standard thinset will suction fine over the paint. The unsanded you are referring to is the distinction of grout. That is there are two grades of grout and depending on what size joint and where it will be used determines if you use sanded or unsanded grout to fill the joints. Typically on floor joints and joints 3/8" and over you use sanded grout. Wall tile with fine joints you can use unsanded.

I agree with chop. It doesn't take much to hold tile to the wall. It won't get much moisture, so wall prep is not necessary. You could also use tile mastic adhesive instead of thinset. It may be easier to use.

Comment

• DaveS
        • May 2003
        • Minneapolis,MN

All things tile can be found at http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php.

Nice bunch of guys there - very helpful.

Comment

Working...