• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Shower/Tub Guards

Because of problems getting in and out of the tub my wife wanted the sliding doors removed in favor of a shower curtain. The problem now is water from the shower spray getting on the floor.

Has anyone ever tried these splash guards? Lowe's or HD one has them for ~$18 each. Worth it if they work, but I don't want to waste money on a gimmick.

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/p...lash-guard.do#

I could just hire the girl to keep the water mopped up with her towel, but then I would never get anything done....I would always be in the shower!
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • jhart
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Pappy, we've used the smaller versions of this in our apartments, as all of the showers/tubs have curtains not doors. They seem to work pretty well. At least we keep replacing them if necessary and haven't had any major water problems on the outside of the tubs/showers since we started using them.
    The one's we use go up about 4-5 inches. Haven't seen the 44" ones. They look like they would work even better. Seems to me we pay $6-8 for the smaller ones. I think HD has them. We get ours from Menard's, which you probably don't have near you. Good luck with them
    Joe
    "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Ran across this little ditty. Just mount on the wall and it puts a curve in the curtain.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
        Veteran Member
        • May 2007
        • Tacoma, WA
        • BT3000

I have never seen cabinetman's solution but they look like they might work well. The only problem I see is that the ends of the curtain are only supported by where the thing is hanging on the shower hooks. If you use open hooks it may want to tip down and unhook it's self.
        We have used the short splash guards and found that they have to be mounted such that the water they catch is directed back in the tub. This means they have to be right at the inside edge of the tub. The ones with two parts, a part that is attached to the tub and wall (double sided tape) and a part that snaps on over it, have a problem keeping the water in the tub. The simpler ones, and less expensive are one piece and work much better. I imagine if the ones in the photo can be mounted so the water drains back in the tub properly they should work even better than the short ones. I may even try them the next time I have to spiff up an apartment for rental.

bill, on The Sunny Oregon Coast

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

C-Man, that looks like a good idea. At 6.99 w/ 2.99 S&H for a pair it might be worth a try. Maybe in combination with the wall mount guards.

I saw some of the smaller corner guards that were curved to direct the water back into the tub. Might see if there is a way to heat and bend the taller ones.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Mr__Bill
            Veteran Member
            • May 2007
            • Tacoma, WA
            • BT3000

Taking a shower this afternoon, should not empty shop vac while down wind, I noticed we had a curtain with little suction cups on the sides to hold it to the shower wall. That seems to hold the curtain in and keep the water from escaping rather well. That may work for you rather than adding something on to the tub.

Bill, now clean and starting dinner.

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

...and some shower curtains come with magnets in the lower hem to (presumably) stick to the tub to help keep the curtain where you place it.
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• alpha
                Established Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Owensboro, KY, USA.

You might also consider replacing a straight shower rod with a curved one. Most hotels have those installed now. They seem to give you a little more room and help prevent leakage.

Bob

Comment

• newbie2wood
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2004
                  • NJ, USA.

Except for accidents by leaving the sliding doors open, I never had a problem with water on the floor. Are the doors installed properly?

Normally, the water is turned off while I exit the shower. The water is on when entering but the door behind the shower head is used. I also adjust the angle of the spray head to point slightly towards the inner shower wall.
                  ________
                  HugeAddicted
                  Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 06:10 AM.

Comment

• stocktr8er
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Midland, TX
                    • BT3000

We had those water guards on our tub and they kept the water off the floor but tended to pool the water at the base on the side of the tub. I got tired of the cleaning problems of having water sit. I went to this simple clip:

http://www.colonialmedical.com/produ...roductid=19836

Keeps the curtain tucked, easy to use. (I don't know this seller, just used it for the picture. Found my at Target or HD years ago)
                    Curtis

Comment

Working...