• Show
Clear All
  • Gator95
    Established Member
    • Jan 2008
    • Atlanta GA
    • Ridgid 3660

Removing tile from drywall

Well I guess it probably seems like I post on BT3K about every step of my half-bath remodel, so why stop now.

After taking out the 1.25" thick layer of mortar and tile from the downstairs half-bath, I'm starting to take off the tile boarder that was the base molding on top of the floor. Here's what it looked like before I started to pull off:

Trying to get these things off the drywall is a mess. I've been trying to carefully wedge the edge of my demolition tool (the chisel-type part) under the top edge and use a hammer to try and separate the tile from the drywall... with limited success. Gouges of the drywall come off with the adhesive (probably mastic).

My questions:

1) Since there will be a wood baseboard there with a height above where the tile was, do I really care if the drywall gets messed up as long as enough left to support baseboard nailed into studs?

2) Is there a better way to do this that doesn't trash the drywall so much?
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

As you say, since the baseboard will hide the drywall - if the baseboard is tall enough, just cut the old stuff out with tile attached, install a new piece of drywall (to back up the trim) and nail over it with your baseboard.
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

What chopnhack said. Even if the new baseboard wasn't tall enough to hide the damage, cutting off the old and mudding out a new strip on is faster than trying to save the existing and then patching it.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Get the mastic off and then put your new base right over it. I wouldn't cut the old drywall out because it is attached at the sole plate and gets some support there. If you cut it out you'll have a floating seam right below the top-edge of the base.

If you decide you want to fill it, you need to cover that brown paper with two to three coats of shellac primer before running hot mud.

Comment

Working...