X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Salty
    • Feb 2006
    • Akron, Ohio

I've done a lot of soldering in the past and have done some recently.
    I used an old 3# coffee can that I folded flat to use as a stop for the heat.
    Also, I always use a small mirror to inspect the joint all the way around to be sure it looks as though the solder has flowed into the joint. If it looks at all suspect, I redo it.
    And finally, do not use any steel wool to clean the pipes. I use a plumbers sandpaper or some 3M green pad. Wipe off the joints after they are cleaned up and put flux on both pieces.
    MAPP gas may be too hot for smaller joints!
    Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
      • Aug 2007
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • BT-3000, 21829

My dad was a plumber for 40 years and and taught me well. I've done a lot of plumbing in my house and for friends. .

I started a handyman business 7 years ago and have done many repairs for customers.

Last fall a customer had a 1/2" ell fail and I spent 2 1/2 hours getting the water out out of the system using a shop vac and every trick I could remember. Didn't work.

I then went to the BORG and bought $15 worth of Sharkbite fittings and fixed it in 10 minutes. These no-solder fittings are spendy, but they really work.

I've always felt that Sharkbites were for amateurs, but a master plumber that does my big jobs says I'm crazy to sweat pipe on small jobs.

Time truly is money. JMTCW.
      You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
      of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• jussi
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by ragswl4
        Good point and if it does have water in it, stuff some stale bread into the pipe to absorb the water. Once the soldering is done and before you hook it all up, apply water pressure to the pipe and it will blow the bread out.
        Wow that really works? Someone told me that a while back and I thought they were just blowing smoke. Live and learn.
        I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by eccentrictinkerer
          I've always felt that Sharkbites were for amateurs, but a master plumber that does my big jobs says I'm crazy to sweat pipe on small jobs.

Time truly is money. JMTCW.
          Sure it is but sweating copper is a useful skill to have, especially in my house where I have copper. For instance, when I move the water heater I want soldered connections, not shark bites. At the very least I want Pex and to do that I will have to solder a transition. I've used the Shark bites on two small projects. For the price I paid for them I more than paid for a torch.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Relative
            Established Member
            • Mar 2007
            • Garden Grove, CA
            • Ridgid R4512

I printed off this piece of advice some time ago and it sits in the case holding my propane torch:

"Position your torch so that the tip of the light blue inner flame just touches the pipe and fitting. This part of the flame is the hottest and will bring the pipe/fitting to soldering temperature. Watch the flame touching the pipe/fitting on the side away from the torch, when it turns green the pipe/fitting has reached soldering temperature. Now remove the heat and apply solder to both ends of the fitting. If the joint was properly heated, the solder will flow evenly into the joint by capillary action."

Key was the flame turning green. Works for me.

Mike
            Veterans are people who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks for the tips fellas. There was some stuff I'd forgotten - the flame turning green was one of them.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• dlminehart
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • San Jose, CA, USA.

I used one of LOML's cookie sheets as a heat sink, when I had the space to use something that big. Worked well! (Don't tell her I used it...)
                - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...