• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rjwaldren
    Established Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Fresno, CA

Bookshelf corner ideas

I have a walking utility closet of the the kids play room. I've recently moved all of my media/phone/net connections to an enclosed panel into the closet. I have also built a L shaped base cabinet and will be moving the MF laser/copier in there. The idea is to maximize storage and provide a place for my wifes craft/teaching supplies as we'll as hide some of the infrastructure equipment.

Now that the cabinet is complete I need to continue up on top of it. I'd like to put 10-12 inch book shelves (cased) to just short of the ceiling. Where I'm stumped is how to transition the corner while maintaining strength, not loosing space, and keeping it professional looking. Everthing I've done so far it painted/primed MDF. Any ideas on good ways to meet the bookcases at the corner?
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

I have the same type of corner I eventually want to build for in our library area. I always thought it would be cool to build in a sort-of lazy susan into the corner so that when it's closed it looks like a normal bookshelf, but when it's opened and rotated 180-deg you get access to the inside compartment (but the books become hidden).

Admittedly, it's not more than just a thought at this point -- I don't even know if it's feasible, but I do think it would be cool.

Another thought was to have one portion of the shelf (10-12 inches from where the front of one shelf meets the other) swing away from the wall like on a piano hinge, exposing the otherwise hidden area in the corner.

Food for thought anyway...
    Last edited by Alex Franke; 02-12-2009, 02:51 PM.
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

Working...