• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Transition From Tile

I framed in the short wall today in the new bath to extend out for the tub.- the wall on one end had to be lengthened. However my wife decided she didn't like the planned location of the lav and toilet. In the new location for the lav I wan to shorten the wall to give some more clearance. It won't be too difficult and I would shorten it back to the stud that the tub ends on. The edge of the nailer for the tub is centered on the stud, so there will only be about 3/4" between the nailer and the end of the wall. Therein lies the problem. The the tile was supposed to overlap onto the drywall a bit, but now there won't be drywall.

Now what I am thinking is to scab blocking onto the stud to give something to attach the CBU to and leave the CBU 1/4 - 1/2" short of the side of the tub, then set the tile so it is flush with the edge of the tub and hangs over the CBU. I would then run trim up the stud over the nailer and caulk between the trim and the tub/tile. What do you think?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Hellrazor
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Abyss, PA
    • Ridgid R4512

I hate bathrooms and tile work... ugh. That is one of the few areas I hate working on things.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

I got a headache trying to follow your description. But, it sounded involved enough that if you think it will work, that's all that counts. Pictures and/or a sketch would help me form an opinion.

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

No pics. I left the mem card for the camera at work. Here's a sketch. This is an end-on view. Red is the tub. Blue is the CBU. Yellow is the stud. Green rectangle is the part of the wall I am removing. My plan is to narrow the width of the CBU and attach blocking to the stud (or sister it) to give something to screw the CBU to. Then the tile hangs over the edge of the CBU a bit flush with the side of the tub. The I put trim or 3/4 pine or whatever on the stud and caulk the gap all the way up.

David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...