Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Splicing electrical wires. Code legal?

My dad and I just demoed the kitchen cabinets in their new house. When we
    removed the soffits, the electricians ran wire through the soffit, and not
    through the studs or between the 2nd floor joists. So now the wires are
    hanging loose and aren't even long enough to reach the studs.

It is legal to splice wire (14-2, etc) as long as there is an accessible junction
    box, right? I don't like doing it, but the alternative is running at least 8 lines
    from the panel to their respective outlets/switches.

Paul
  • eezlock
    • Feb 2006
    • Charlotte,N.C.
    • BT3100

splicing electrical wires

Yes you can splice electrical wires, if you make the splice in a junction box and done in accordance with all codes. Remember that a junction box cannot be concealed, there must be access to it at anytime.

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Yes you can splice. As was said, the splice just has to be accessible. I splice mine with crimps and tape the connections. Takes longer than wire nuts but it takes up less room in the box and is much more secure.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

ditto to what has been said, just a note....if your cabs are going to ceiling height from where the soffit was removed, you can mount the box at the ceiling height and cutout a portion of the top of the cab to gain access to it. An out of the way spot that just about no one will ever see. If not, you can still get to it via the back of a cab. Make sure you place the box with the correct offset so that you dont need to use an extender after accounting for drywall and cab thickness, plus any spacers that may be used for cab hanging method.
        Last edited by chopnhack; 12-31-2008, 11:34 PM. Reason: adding the "f" in "f"or makes the last line intelligible! :)
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• RAFlorida
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2008
          • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
          • Ryobi BT3000

All answer are correct.

Most important is the fact of using a junction box big enough to meet NEC fill space requirements and that said box be accesable(?), meaning you don't have to remove a panel or soffet or anything to get to it.
          I might add, be sure to use romex connectors. I've been on jobs where the wire was run in the ko opening w/o any connectors.

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Thanks for the input everyone. I am glad I'm on the right track with this. Good
            idea about putting the box in the ceiling.

Paul

Comment

Working...