• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Who Is Responsible??

Who is responsible for maintaining your neighbor's side of your privacy fence?
  • gjat
    • Nov 2005
    • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
    • BT3100

I've always heard that it is the fence owner's responsibility for all maintenance of the fence. If it's an issue that the neighbor won't let you on his property to maintain the fence, that's your problem. Neighbor also cannot paint the fence facing him without your permission. That's what's great about low maintenance vinyl fencing.

Comment

• Daryl
      • May 2004

Neighbor to the back owns my back fence, I am happy they supplied it. If a board is loose I will nail it back on and if I ever want to paint it I am sure they won't mind. Fences on both sides are mine and those neighbors can paint or fix as they see fit. Since I let the dog run back there I try to keep them maintained. As far a mowing goes, I do my side and you can do yours.
      Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• Russianwolf
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
        • One of them there Toy saws

in most places, fences are supposed to be back a foot or so from the property line. fence maintenance is the responsibility of the fence owner.
        Mike
        Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Alex Franke
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Chapel Hill, NC
          • Ryobi BT3100

My vote is for the fence owner, but it's just a guess.
          online at http://www.theFrankes.com
          while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• justaguy
            Established Member
            • Jun 2006
            • Chesapeake VA

+1 In our area the fence has to be inside the property line and maintenance is the owners responsibility.

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Here it is the fence owner. Although at the first house I owned, I would screw the pickets back on their fence. The fence was falling apart and I'd toss the loose pickets over when I mowed. The next week they'd be back so I just started putting them back on the fence. Later on I solved the problem by marrying my new neighbor and replacing the whole thing.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2007
                • Chapel Hill, NC
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by crokett
                Here it is the fence owner. Although at the first house I owned, I would screw the pickets back on their fence. The fence was falling apart and I'd toss the loose pickets over when I mowed. The next week they'd be back so I just started putting them back on the fence. Later on I solved the problem by marrying my new neighbor and replacing the whole thing.
                Serious?
                "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Alex Franke
                  Serious?
                  Yep. I replaced half of it (she paid for materials) just before we got engaged actually. She'd heard I was handy but didn't really understand it until she went home a week for Christmas and came back and she had a new fence.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2007
                    • Chapel Hill, NC
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Wow -- that's a bit of an extreme solution to neighbor-relations issues! What a great story!

But if you kept both houses, at least you'll be comfortable when you're "in the doghouse."

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Alex Franke
                      Wow -- that's a bit of an extreme solution to neighbor-relations issues! What a great story!

But if you kept both houses, at least you'll be comfortable when you're "in the doghouse."

Nope. I sold mine, moved into hers. It was bigger and I didn't want to repaint mine. I don't really care what color the walls are. Then we sold hers and moved into the one we have now.

As for neighbor-relations I met her after going over there spoiling for a fight. My neighbor's dog was barking and waking me up every morning @ 4:30ish. That Thursday night I got the ladder and hose all ready, Friday he doesn't bark. I was mad cause I couldn't get revenge. Saturday I heard somebody playing with the dog and went over prepared to punch the guy in the nose (I'd seen a guy working around the yard) and a cute woman answers the door.
                      David

Comment

• JeffG78
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                        • BT3100

It all depends if the fence is ON the property line, or 1 foot on your side of the line. If it's on the line, then the fence is owned by both people and they are responsible to maintain their side. If it's a foot in, then you take care of both sides.

To be on the property line, each property owner must pull a permit and the construction cost is usually shared. They do this to avoid future disputes.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                          • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by crokett
                          Nope. I sold mine, moved into hers. It was bigger and I didn't want to repaint mine. I don't really care what color the walls are. Then we sold hers and moved into the one we have now.

As for neighbor-relations I met her after going over there spoiling for a fight. My neighbor's dog was barking and waking me up every morning @ 4:30ish. That Thursday night I got the ladder and hose all ready, Friday he doesn't bark. I was mad cause I couldn't get revenge. Saturday I heard somebody playing with the dog and went over prepared to punch the guy in the nose (I'd seen a guy working around the yard) and a cute woman answers the door.
                          I can see it now

"F@$* You!"

shrugs, "okay"

and the rest is history.
                          Mike
                          Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• JeffG78
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                            • BT3100

Hee Hee. Funny RW

Comment

• crokett
                              The Full Monte
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Mebane, NC, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Russianwolf
                              I can see it now

"F@$* You!"

shrugs, "okay"

and the rest is history.
                              Well I was in really good shape back then. No, it was more like me thinking 'hey it's a woman and she's pretty cute!'. Then I had to dial the aggravation factor waaaay back.
                              David

Comment

Working...