X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Salty
    • Feb 2006
    • Akron, Ohio

Seeking suggestions

I am looking for ideas for this doorway but cannot seem to find anything on the web. Probably because I am not using the correct search terms.
    The doorway is about 4' wide and is right in the middle of the ceiling(midway with regard to the width of the house). I know that it flexes a bit which is why the drywall seam has opened. I thought about trying to repair it with some flexible patch but I just know I'll never get the stipling to match.
    I was thinking of a knick-knack shelf viewable from both side, or just a fake beam. Something on that order. Anything to hide the seam.
    Here is the area in question.
    Any and all ideas, suggestions, advise is appreciated.
    Salty
    Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?
  • Salty
    • Feb 2006
    • Akron, Ohio

Hummm...no picture.
    I'll try again.
    Didn't work...don't know what is wrong!!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Try messing something up at floor level in the same location... Nobody will even look up over the door...

Comment

• Salty
        • Feb 2006
        • Akron, Ohio

Well, it is not really a doorway but an access way between the dining room and living room.
        Sure wish the image attachment would work.
        Oh, apparently there are some new limitations on the total amount of space available for images. Didn't know that. I deleted a bunch so this should work now.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Alex Franke
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Chapel Hill, NC
          • Ryobi BT3100

I'd probably lean toward adding a couple 2x4's and some more drywall to extend the top of the wall all the way across -- that would make a little more visual separation between the dining and living rooms and will look more like a doorway as opposed to two walls. It would make it easier to add some molding to one of the rooms, too.

I think a knick-knack shelf would just call attention up there, and a fake beam might look out of place...
          online at http://www.theFrankes.com
          while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Alex Franke
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Chapel Hill, NC
            • Ryobi BT3100

Here's our dining room -- looks like a similar configuration, but it opens to a hall instead of a living room.

online at http://www.theFrankes.com
            while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
            "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• OpaDC
              Established Member
              • Feb 2008
              • Pensacola, FL
              • Ridgid TS3650

Agree with Alex. Or possibly an archway. Or if you feel real adventurous, a stained glass panel.

second star to the right and straight on til morning

Comment

• Tom Slick
                Veteran Member
                • May 2005
                • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                • sears BT3 clone

I dunno, if you had one fake beam or arch in an entire house of no beams it could stick out like a sore thumb.

Can you post a picture showing more of the room?
                Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• eezlock
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Charlotte,N.C.
                  • BT3100

seeking suggestions

Why not frame it in and cover it with sheet rock....just like a door header?
                  If done properly...will look as if it has been there all the time. eezlock

Comment

• Rand
                    Established Member
                    • May 2005
                    • Vancouver, WA, USA.

I agree with Alex too. Frame it in at the height of a regular doorway.

I would cut the existing upright corner bead on the adjacent walls to the finished height of your doorway. That will make it easier to mud and tape the new work to the old for an invisible seam.

Since you don't want to mess up the texture on the ceiling do not mud and tape the joints between the new work and the ceiling. Instead cut a very clean edge of new drywall and butt it up to the ceiling. ( A drywall rasp will come in handy here).

Carefully caulk the seam between the new work and the ceiling. The caulked seam may open up a little over time but it's easy to run a new bead of caulk and touch up the paint.
                    Rand
                    "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

What Rand said. You might also think about some wrapping the new opening in door casing just to make it look a bit more finished.
                      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• ragswl4
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Winchester, Ca
                        • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by Salty
                        I am looking for ideas for this doorway but cannot seem to find anything on the web. Probably because I am not using the correct search terms.
                        The doorway is about 4' wide and is right in the middle of the ceiling(midway with regard to the width of the house). I know that it flexes a bit which is why the drywall seam has opened. I thought about trying to repair it with some flexible patch but I just know I'll never get the stipling to match.
                        I was thinking of a knick-knack shelf viewable from both side, or just a fake beam. Something on that order. Anything to hide the seam.
                        Here is the area in question.
                        Any and all ideas, suggestions, advise is appreciated.
                        Salty
                        If its flexing then I would suggest fixing that first or you may just have a different problem show up. Is there a header above that opening or does the wall just stop and then start again 4 feet later? If so, not good. Think of it as an opening for a window, needs a header to provide the support that is missing due to the 4 foot expanse with no studs. Is it a one or mutliple story house and is the opening on the first floor?
                        Last edited by ragswl4; 11-23-2008, 09:00 PM.
                        RAGS
                        Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                        sigpic

Comment

• Salty
                          • Feb 2006
                          • Akron, Ohio

Thans all.
                          Those are all good ideas.
                          It is a case of the ceiling being finished right across the opening. It extends the entire width of the house and it is a ranch style. So, the area that flexes is where the truss members butt against each other. I suppose in reality it has to flex as the enpansion and contraction of the entire structure width is involved. It should have been done the way it was done in the 50's and 60's by forming in an arch. But that was probably more expensive.
                          None of my ideas went over too well with the better half. She suggested that I frame it in top to bottom with wood like a doorway. I tried to explain that that would look odd if it is not also framed with a header.
                          I have decided that I will think on it some more and leave it for a job next spring.

Comment

• chopnhack
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2006
                            • Florida
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Salty, if you have access to the attic above the area, make an inspection and see if the trusses are indeed flexing. They will have dried out considerably since the house was built and that shrinkage could have contributed to the drywall seam opening up. Another scenario is truss uplift, I dont know if you get strong winds in your parts or not. If you have access, perhaps some blocking and a L brace rat run can help stiffen the trusses. Good luck with your solution.
                            I ++ the caulk solution too.
                            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
                              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

If you want to make a project out of it, you could build down the ceiling just enough to run crown, or a cove moulding. It could be a continuous run, or wrap the end of the walls.

Or, add some small columns or half columns to the end walls, with a header to cover the seam. Trimming out the opening could also be done with fluted trim, rosettes and a header.

Comment

Working...