• Show
Clear All
  • offthemark
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Germantown, TN, USA.
    • BT3100

Leveling OSB subfloor

I'm installing floating laminate flooring in my son's room (allergies) and have a few spots that aren't level. Overall the room is level but there are a couple of low spots. I understand that it will be better to level now to avoid separation in the future. What material should I use to fix the dips? I've heard of using shingles. Also, I've heard joint compound mentioned but wondered if that was just for concrete subfloors.
    Mark
    --------
    "There are no stupid questions - just stupid people"
  • rnelson0
    Established Member
    • Feb 2008
    • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
    • Firestorm FS2500TS

Go to the store of your choice and ask for a self-leveling compound. It comes in little tubs like wall spackle does, if you just need a bit, or you can buy gallon+ drums of it if you really need a lot. I have used it for slight gaps where the compound did not actually go across any seams. However, I have heard of people using it to basically cover a whole room, definitely across a lot of joints, and it has held up. The nice thing is that you just pour it out in the general area and it settles itself. You should not have to do anything to make it level.

Comment

• DaveS
      • May 2003
      • Minneapolis,MN

How low and how large are the low spots?

Comment

• conwaygolfer
        Established Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Conway, SC.
        • BT3000

leveling OSB

If you have an 8-10ft. straight edge, you can use it as a guide to find and fill the low spots. Use the self leveling stuff. You can get it in bags at the big box stores and mix with water. Simply pour it out and let it harden. You will have a nice level floor to work with. You may have to feather out the edges, but thats about all. Use a trowel for this. Hope this helps.
        Conwaygolfer

Comment

• offthemark
          Established Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Germantown, TN, USA.
          • BT3100

I'm not at home now but I'd say about 2 foot in diameter with a 1/4" dip in the center.
          Mark
          --------
          "There are no stupid questions - just stupid people"

Comment

Working...