• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kirkroy
    Established Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Brunswick, MD

Adding a shed to a hilly yard

I've got a very hilly back yard. I could really use a shed (single car garage is my workshop and it contains bunches of stuff that I'd like to move into a shed) but I can't easily stick one out there. I was thinking I could just build a kind of free standing deck/platform but, considering that I'm just making this up as I go along, I don't know if that's a good plan. Any suggestions?

There is the option of putting a narrow shed right next to the house. It'd have to be pretty narrow though (6-8', 8' is probably pushing it) and wouldn't be the best option aesthetically...

Thanks,

Kirk
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I wouldn't hesitate to build level to grade. Here's a site with suggestions for creating a good foundation.

Comment

• mschrank
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2004
      • Hood River, OR, USA.
      • BT3000

That's what I did just this past spring. My shed is about 10 x 14'. It's one of those cheap aluminum Arrow brand sheds. I don't expect it to last too long, and someday I'll build a "real" shed, so I didn't want to spend too much time & money on the foundation. That said, I ended up with a pretty solid base.

I did a bit of hand-work to level the area as best I could. I dug six 1' deep holes to approximately the same elevation. Filled with a couple inches of pea gravel. Placed concrete pier-blocks into each hole. Used PT 4x4 "stilts" to support some PT 4x8's for the long direction. Strung PT 2x6 joists between. Topped the deck off with exterior grade plywood.

One thing I forgot to do at the time was put down a vapor barrier. I can still get one under there...it just would've been a lot easier before the joists went down. With the rainy season coming, I better get on this task tomorrow!
      Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

City hall in my town has readily avaialble guidelines for this kind of activity. That's good, because they are very opinionated on this topic! By and large any shed like this must be five feet from the slope. If I couldn't get five feet from the sloping part, I'd have to make a large pad and build a retaining wall.

It's good to check out the local regulations sooner rather than later.

JR
        JR

Comment

• dkerfoot
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2004
          • Holland, Michigan
          • Craftsman 21829

When I lived in Washington State, I used to drive to work past a house that had a garage on a fairly steep hill that had not been graded level. It was really very odd looking. I know you are considering doing that, but your post brought back the memory...

It entertained me to see it nearly every day, but I wouldn't recommend the approach!
          Doug Kerfoot
          "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
          "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
          KeyLlama.com

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

You can get some clues from deck construction. There's a lot of sources for that.

You didn't mention the actual slopes you'll be working with. I would be hesitant to do a free standing foundation on a steep slope, especially if it was going to be some sort of stacked base. A little washout underneath and it could start sliding down fairly easily.

Careful putting it close to the house. You need to consider how it would affect drainage at the house. The previous owners of our house put a greenhouse close to the house. It's created some problems for me. Construction can get harder with tight clearances too.
            Erik

Comment

• kirkroy
              Established Member
              • Feb 2007
              • Brunswick, MD

I'll check on local regs. If I have to get city/county inspections done and all that for just a shed I'll probably just stick one on the side of the house.

I haven't measured the grade but I wouldn't be surprised if a 12'x12' platform would be on the ground one side and off the ground enough on the other end that I could stand upright under it.

The drainage issue with putting it near the house did occur to me particularly since the side I could do that on is the uphill side. It's the only flat bit of yard I've got though.

Thanks all,

Kirk

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

That's a pretty good slope you've got there. With that kind of slope you can get storage in on top with the shed and below if you go with columns. Some excavation on the high side and using it to fill the low side could give you a flatter pad too.
                Last edited by pelligrini; 10-04-2008, 09:58 AM.
                Erik

Comment

Working...