how do you paint the base boards in rooms with carpet?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • footprintsinconc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
    • BT3100

how do you paint the base boards in rooms with carpet?

here is my question:

how do you paint the base boards in rooms with carpet? the carpet dips down under the base board when when it real close to the face of the base board. some of threads are sticking up and touching the face of the base board. so how do you repaint them without getting any paint on the carpet?

thanks,
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I have a very wide knife (like 24") that I think is for smoothing wallpaper. I use it to press the carpet down, then paint a section. Then work your way around the room and rinse and repeat. I have also used a drywall knife but those are only about 14" wide. A couple things: don't load up the brush with paint. It is easier to keep off the carpet that way. Also, wipe the knife off periodically or the paint will build up and work its way around the edge and get on the carpet.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• eezlock
      • Feb 2006
      • Charlotte,N.C.
      • BT3100

painting base boards

Very carefully! I would use a wide blade taping knife like sheetrock finishers use or really wide putty knife. If you really want to be cheap and not buy anything....use a slat from some discarded/old venetian blinds....they work well too. The point is, to use something between the carpet and the
      baseboard to prevent any paint smears and later on cleaning them up!
      eezlock

Comment

• Jan
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2004

You can use a carpet shield. Most paint departments have them in stock. Keep your brush rather dry. You only need to get it colored down behind the carpet. And wipe off your shield every time you use it.

Comment

• jhart
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Wide knifes work ok, but you need to keep them clean. Painter's tape will also work, just make sure you get it close and press down the carpet as you put it down. Sometimes you can even get it under the moulding. Keep the brush fairly dry. I usually pull the tape right after I'm done and look for any spots on the carpet. With latex paint, a wet rag will take out most spots if there are any. Put a taping knife between the moulding and the spot on the carpet when using a wet rag.
          Joe
          "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

My wife and daughter will just paint the base and carpet, or just paint the top part of the base.

I prefer a drywall knive or similar. I've used a piece of sheet aluminum I had lying around too. The handles on a knife make it easier though.
            Erik

Comment

• RAFlorida
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2008
              • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
              • Ryobi BT3000

As Joe said, painter's tape.

I've use it for that and it does wonders. Our baseboards are slightly off the carpet and I can slide a wide blade between the board and carpet, thus allowing some of the tape to be placed thereunder. Painter's tape ain't cheap, untill you've got paint on the carpet, then you'll see money flying for new carpet. I do believe that'll be you're best bet.

Comment

• klefkow
                Forum Newbie
                • Apr 2006

Carpet

I have used a slat from an old vertical blind. It provides about 7 feet of coverage and I move it along the wall.

Comment

• chabin76
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Edmond, OK, USA.
                  • BT3100

When I repainted my basement, I took all of the baseboards off the walls and painted them in the garage on my sawhorses. They come off the wall easily if you pry close to the nails and then I don't risk any paint of the carpets.

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                    • Aug 2007
                    • Minneapolis, MN
                    • BT-3000, 21829

When I started my handyman business 7 years ago I worked for several friends in the building trades for a week each at no pay. I wanted to learn the 'tricks of the trade' to speed up production.

My friend, Brian, a painter for many years, showed me how he cuts in next to carpet. Using a very good brush he carefully painted right up to the carpet! He got a little paint on some fibers but not much.

The next day we just ran our fingers along the paint line to pull the stuck fibers off the baseboard. Worked like a charm and I've been doing it that way ever since.

BTW, learning to cut in properly is just like 'getting to Carnagie Hall', practice, practice, practice!
                    You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                    of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2006
                      • BT3100

Thanks guys for the great tips!

if you look at the pictures i posted, part of the base board is burried in carpet. the long threads stand right next to the base board.

i tired to used the wide putty knife for drywalling and a thin piece of pine i had laying around, and i cant get below the bottom horizontal line on the base board. so if i were to paint, then i think i can only get the new paint to that point only.

if the color is off and noticeable, then i think i will have to remove the boards. i cant do that since i that would mean too many base boards to remove becaue we plan on painting the whole house.
                      Last edited by footprintsinconc; 12-12-2008, 11:29 PM.

Comment

• JR
                        The Full Monte
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Eugene, OR
                        • BT3000

Omar, try it this way. Hold the putty knive vertically. Push it down between the carpet and baseboard. Now lean it over, exposing the bottom of the baseboard. Apply the paint.

As has been suggested, use a long knife. Mine is 24" long. Wipe it off after each 24" segment of paint is applied.

Removing the baseboards will definitely not be the easy way out.

JR
                        JR

Comment

• crokett
                          The Full Monte
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Mebane, NC, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3000

What JR said. That is exactly how I did it in the two houses I had with carpet. Also, as long as the suggestion of the new color is down by the carpet it doesn't have to be the world's best paint job. When the carpet comes back up it will cover the bottom 1/4" or so of the baseboard anyway.
                          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2006
                            • BT3100

thanks guys, i will try it that way.

Comment

Working...