• Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Can I protect this old laundry tub?

I have one of those cheap, resin laundry tubs. Over the past 8 years of its life it has accumulated a **lot** of stains. During my weekend gunsmith project I began to scrub the sink with a piece of 0000 steel wool that I was using. It looks like it's possible to resurrect this old sink. The question is what can be used to seal the resin against this happening so quickly?

TIA!
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Those aren't stains, they're badges of honor... You gotta expect a tub like that to get 'em. I don't think any sealant would offer much protection. Just plan to take the 0000 to it again from time to time. Unless you have a habit of gathering house guests around it to sing "kumbaya", then that should be plenty.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by ironhat
      I have one of those cheap, resin laundry tubs. Over the past 8 years of its life it has accumulated a **lot** of stains. During my weekend gunsmith project I began to scrub the sink with a piece of 0000 steel wool that I was using. It looks like it's possible to resurrect this old sink. The question is what can be used to seal the resin against this happening so quickly?

TIA!

It might be a cheap sink, but it's your cheap sink. I wouldn't be using 0000 steel wool. Any particles of the strands breaking off may cause rusting. If it's that bad that it needs abrading, I would use a superfine synthetic "wool", like Scotch-Brite®, or a variety of other synthetic pads.

If what you have is stains, a rubbing compound may clear them without changing the surface of the sink. You also might try just using an automotive paste wax, which would provide some semblence of protection.

If the sink is real bad, you could uninstall the fixture, and prepare it for a coating, like an epoxy based finish.

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
        Those aren't stains, they're badges of honor... You gotta expect a tub like that to get 'em.
        I'm going to have my wife speak with you about that. She's sure that they come from me and I'm saying that it's a 50/50 split.
        I don't think any sealant would offer much protection. Just plan to take the 0000 to it again from time to time. Nuts! Unless you have a habit of gathering house guests around it to sing "kumbaya", then that should be plenty. So, you got your invitation, already!
        OK, C.man, that's just crazy talk - uninstalling... - LOL! I'll stick to the Scotchbrite suggestion. It was so difficult using the steel wool that I doubt that the rubbing compound would work. But, I haven't finished and it's worth a try, at least.

Thanks!
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Actually, I would use a 0000 non-steel (synthetic or brass) wool, as C-Man is right about the residual rust that you could get from embedded steel. It's possible that doing it a little more often than 9-year intervals might make the job a bit easier...

Comment

• Hellrazor
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Abyss, PA
            • Ridgid R4512

Oh boy.. he is moving to the clean side. Next he will tell us about feather dusting the shop...

Comment

• ironhat
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Hellrazor
              Oh boy.. he is moving to the clean side. Next he will tell us about feather dusting the shop...
              Now, hoooold on there. The tub is in the wife's domain but it was me who bothched it up, for the most part. A feather duster in the shop, though... that's just crazy talk!
              Last edited by ironhat; 09-03-2008, 08:41 PM. Reason: none
              Blessings,
              Chiz

Comment

Working...