• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bfrikken
    • Apr 2005
    • Michigan, USA.
    • BT-3100

Building My Shed

Originally, I set out to build a 12x16 shed. I was getting a little run around with ordering in cement becasue of needing to put it in my backyard and having to battle a slight hill. I figured the trucks could still drop it off on the spot, but they were pretty set on me needing help with wheelbarrows. So, I changed my plans and decided to go with a wood floor. I'm a slight bit bigger then my 120 sq feet the area allows a wood floor for, but I figured it was worth the risk. I decided to blog my progress. It has been close to 4 weeks worth of work. I've gotten a little help along the way, but have done a great bit myself.

If anyone is interested in checking it out.

http://geekontheweb.blogspot.com

This week is a "break" week for me. I'm not doing much to the shed as I rest. I'll do a little more work with the garage door to finish that, and I'm going to build some shelving inside the shed this weekend. I'm battling some soreness from working on teh shed and training for a 10 mile run all at the same time. My wife is already anxious to start filling the shed. It will serve as storage and I'll be able to better organize my few tools in the garage.
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

That looks great! Interesting how much work goes into a small structure you might otherwise hardly notice. I like the idea of the garage door. Do you have electricity to the shed yet?
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• bfrikken
      • Apr 2005
      • Michigan, USA.
      • BT-3100

Not yet, the electrician hasn't made it out yet (My FIL). I'm waiting for him to make a trip back to the house. the shed is on the side of the house where ihave easy access for electrical.

Comment

• Hellrazor
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Abyss, PA
        • Ridgid R4512

Looks good, are you going to install tyvek to weatherproof the sheathing?

Comment

• bfrikken
          • Apr 2005
          • Michigan, USA.
          • BT-3100

Originally posted by Hellrazor
          Looks good, are you going to install tyvek to weatherproof the sheathing?
          No, i'll probably just use the left over tar paper that i have from the roof before i install vinyl siding.

Comment

• Hellrazor
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Abyss, PA
            • Ridgid R4512

Good deal. Just checking since a lot of people think vinyl siding waterproofs the building. Which is a huge mistake.

Comment

• bfrikken
              • Apr 2005
              • Michigan, USA.
              • BT-3100

not afraid to admit, i was one of those people. I spent a few months researching the build, then for each step, i do another prep of just reading and browsing the web for ideas suggestions tips just to feel good for what i am about to do. my day job is a desk jockey

Comment

• Hellrazor
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Abyss, PA
                • Ridgid R4512

Use the following product to seal around the windows. Since you didn't tarpaper/tyvek the wall prior to installing the windows. Install the tarpaper and cut if off flush with the nail flanges on the windows. Install the seal in a manner that covers the whole nail flange on the window and overlaps the tarpaper. Do the bottom first, then the 2 sides, the top is last and make sure that you overlap the joints.

TITE SEAL®
                4" x 33' Window and Door Sealing Tape

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...433&lpage=none

The entry door is going to be harder to do. You might be just as well cut the tarpaper flush with the edge of the brickmold and just caulk the gap. Make sure you paint the brickmold before you start on the siding. That way you can make a mess without having to cleanup.

Comment

• ssmith1627
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Corryton, TN, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100

It's great to see someone else putting up a shed at the same time. Thanks for sharing those photos.

I spent a few months deciding which one to build before going with very simple. I started out drawing out different size sheds with chalk on the driveway. That way I could position my utility trailer, riding mower, push mower, wood chipper, etc. and see how things fit. I ended up with a 12' X 16' shed that would accomodate my needs.

After that, I started figuring out what all was required by the county. Anything larger than 120 sq. feet required permits. I had so much else going on that I just didn't want to go through that ordeal. So I settled on a 12' X 8' saltbox plan. I looked at that for probably a month before going even simpler. Still 12' X 8' but a normal gable roof with double doors on one of the short ends.

Two days putting the foundation in place and these past two days to build three of the walls. This is totally a storage shed for me for all the yard stuff so I'm not going with any windows. Simple simple simple. The downside is the trailer has to stay outside now under a tarp.

Took this last night:
                  http://ssmith1627.myphotoalbum.com/v...bum05&id=026_G

Going to finish the 4th wall tonight and get the roof on there over the weekend I hope. We have a nice path here with no rain which is great for building a shed but killing my lawn !

Steve

Comment

• bfrikken
                    • Apr 2005
                    • Michigan, USA.
                    • BT-3100

Hey Mike - I already have a roll of the stuff, just need to put it up. Hoping to make the trip to buy the siding today or tomorrow.

Comment

• StickSeler
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

they dont say it in the instructions, but I'd advise you get a can of 3m super 77 and use it to prime where the tape will go. Even if it sticks without it, it will eventually fall off.

And the tape needs to go over the flange and to the sheathing, not on the vapor barrier. Vapor Barriers ar emeant to breath, they dont keep moisture out, they help it disapate.
                      Of course Lumber is expensive,what do you think, it grows on trees

http://www.rjkniatt.com

Comment

Working...