• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

A Couple Watering Can Suggestions

I have several shrubs planted this season that it is either cumbersome to get all the hose for or it won't reach. Earlier this year I took a 5 gallon bucket and drilled several holes in one half of the lid. That way the water slows some when I pour it out of the bucket.

I saw a neighbor this week with a 50gal drum and garden hose on the back of a tracktor doing watering. I looked at that and came up with this idea: drilling holes in the sides of a bucket and attaching some 1/4" clear tubing. Fill the bucket, place the tubing and the water will trickle out of the tubing slowly enough that it just does't run off. You can walk away and just come back when the bucket is empty.
    Last edited by crokett; 08-07-2008, 10:13 AM.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

That is a good lazy man's way of doing it! Sounds like something I would do!

The idea reminds me of something I read some years ago: A sergeant in the military was asked by a commanding officer how he was able to get things done so fast and so efficiently on a consistent basis. The serge replied: "Sir, I look for the laziest men in the company and give the difficult jobs to them. Then I watch as they find the quickest and easiest way to get the job done!"

Looks like you did that!
    Last edited by leehljp; 08-07-2008, 07:23 AM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• BobSch
      • Aug 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp

The idea reminds me of something I read some years ago: A sergeant in the military was asked by a commanding officer how he was able to get things done so fast and so efficiently on a consistent basis. The serge replied: "Sir, I look for the laziest men in the company and give the difficult jobs to them. Then I watch as they find the quickest and easiest way to get the job done!"

Looks like you did that!
      All great inventions come from someone trying to find an easier way to do something.
      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by leehljp
        Hey! I resemble that remark! The hose and bucket idea worked so well that I am gonna make another one. I thought of another couple advantages - I know exactly how much water each plant is getting and I can dump in the Miracle Gro and fertilize at the same time.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• just started
          • Mar 2008
          • suburban Philly

Hey Hank, who's the little cutie in your new avatar?

Comment

Working...