• Show
Clear All
  • jhart
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Porch floor replacement

Looking at replacing the floorboards on my 115 year old home's front, covered porch. Choices have come down to using either T & G Douglas fir or pressure treated T & G pine. We're leaning towards the PT pine. Can't afford some of the more exotic like Ipe, etc., and really don't like the look of Trex and that type.

Would welcome any opinions or other suggestions.

Thinking at this point is to use a semi transparent, oil based, stain/sealer Like Olympic, that we have used on our deck in back, and have had good results from.
    Joe
    "All things are difficult before they are easy"
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

How do you plan to work around the posts that support the roof? I'm going
    to need to do this, too, and haven't figured that out yet.

My house is 11 years old and the T&G PT pine is failing at the porch entrance
    where the sun and rain beat on it. I want to keep it natural but I noticed that
    many of my neighbors painted theirs and they look to be in very good
    condition.

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

I've helped repair or replace 2 porch floors, one in the house I grew up in and the other on my parents' current civil war-era house. The way we worked around the posts was to replace the floor up close to the existing post, then create temporary braces by nailing 2 2x4s into a T-beam, then jacking into place with a bottle jack, then removing the post. Then we finished the floor under the post. We did not put the posts back until we had painted under them.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jhart
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
        • BT3100

We plan on using 4 X 4's with jacks, replace the existing posts and then doing the floor around the posts. The existing posts have 1 X 8's around the existing posts in a square pattern and will do a similar pattern going down to the floor. I don't believe the posts and flooring are origional to the house.
        The floor boards have been painted in the past, which we redid a couple of years ago, but again looking shabby and some are rotting. Additionally, one side of the roof is down about 2" and needs to be brought back up. New support posts should fix that problem.
        Joe

Comment

• StickSeler
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2003
          • Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

IF your going to paint it, Look for a Primed PT Pine. We have that down here and it gives good results. The treatment is not like a deck with ACQ or CA, Im not sure the preservative.

Regular PT porch floor is an OK product but its unstable and adds problems with water retention. IMHO regular pine porch flooring is better than PT but its a PITA because of the primer on all 6 sides.

Also check around for Brazillion Redwood. Its not bad in price (Cheaper than Ipe) and looks good when down. You have to be careful when you install because of its hardness. I think the extra you pay for it is made up for with the lower maintenance and no need to paint.
          Of course Lumber is expensive,what do you think, it grows on trees

http://www.rjkniatt.com

Comment

• jhart
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Update -- Well what started as a fairly simple job has now turned into a fairly big one. Turns out that the squared 1 X8's (4 of them) were not surrounding any posts. They were the support for the roof. On top of that, there were no real footings. What was used for footings was brick support built up to a height of about 3 feet. So now we're tearing out all of the bricks, will be digging and pouring new footings and build it the right was.

Some of the areas in the bricks where the bricks failed, were filled in with pieces of wood. Somebody before us really did a jerryrigging of a job. I'm amazed the thing has stayed up.

The fun now begins!!!
            Joe

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

Well, Joe, look on the bright side... At least by your having to tear more out, you'll be getting more of it done the way you want it to be...

Comment

• Hellrazor
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Abyss, PA
                • Ridgid R4512

That is the "fun" part of fixing things up, you never know what you will find under it. I've run into a bunch of issues that made you wonder what was holding the roof up.

Comment

Working...