• Show
Clear All
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

So much for instructions

I have a small deck 9 x 9 outside my shop. It is Redwood, not the best stuff but it needed to be refinished. So this week i used my belt sander and sanded the old finish off and at the same time smoothed out some of raised areas. LOML thought I was carzy to apply the stain this morning as it was supposed to be hot. The instruction said (oil based stain) not to apply it in the direct sunlight and it would take 24-48 hrs to cure/dry. well it is 12:30 pm and about 90F and it is almost dry. I figured with the low humidity 15% and the high temp it would dry fast. It was applied in the shade and now it is in partial sun and soon to be full sun and it is dry enough to walk on and get into shop to install the new A/C I picked up and the BORG. Tomorrow I will build a new step for the deck and install it after it is stained and dry. The oil based stain looks so much better that the water/latex based I put on it the first time. Just went out and took some pictures. I decided to use the old redwood from the current step to make the new one as it will be smaller in length and heigth. I will cut the board to lenght and height then run them trought the jointer and planer to clean them up before staining them.
    Tom
    Last edited by TB Roye; 06-20-2008, 02:39 PM.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

It's got to be a guy thing to not read or ask for directions. Some of those label directions are to limit the liability of the manufacturer, and then others can't be written seriously enough.

Generally speaking label directions are a definite guideline. Misreading them or not understanding them can be a problem. An example that comes to mind goes back a few years when one of my German Shepherds got fleas. My Vet prescribed Garlic Tablets, and the label said to dispense 1 tab 3x per week. Well, my dog started to blow methane gas like there was no tomorrow. Stunk the house up like crazy. I finally figured out the problem. I had read the label as 1 tab 3x per day.

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

Directions! We don't need no stinkin' directions!!

I tried reading directions once, but I got all confused...

When my sons were Cub Scouts, one of the dads expressed amazement that we had the boys read directions. "We're teaching these boys to be young men," he said, "throw those directions AWAY!"

It's become my mantra.

g.
      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

Comment

• Hellrazor
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Abyss, PA
        • Ridgid R4512

I only read the directions after I run into problems.

Comment

• Hoover
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • USA.

Originally posted by Hellrazor
          I only read the directions after I run into problems.
          When all else fails, read the instructions! I've been there.
          No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

I usually read the instructions because I think the manufacturer knows more about the product than I do. Not so sure about HF tools, though.

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Hellrazor
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Abyss, PA
              • Ridgid R4512

I think HF uses babblefish translations without reading them.

Comment

Working...