• Show
Clear All
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

Roofin'

My house was due for a new roof so now that nice weather is here is was time to pull the trigger. I have a professional roofer coming in to do the underlayment, flashing, and asphalt "architectural" shingles.

It had the original worn out cedar shingle roof under the worn out asphalt three tab shingles.

I hired my general contractor friends to tear off the old layers of roof and to install new sheathing. I helped with the tear off and clean up. I left the sheathing to the pros.
    Here you can see the original skip sheathing 1x6's. They were in good condition so we left them in place

The pros at work

Here is the new 1/2" OSB installed. With the 1x6's under the OSB the roof deck is very rigid. It took 58 sheets to cover the roof.

More events to unfold tomorrow; the inspector shows up to check the sheathing and the roofer is going to "dry it in" with "Titanium UDL 30" underlayment.
    The entire project should be done by the end of the week.

This is the other roof-er, at least that's what he says all the time!

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
  • iceman61
    • Oct 2007
    • West TN
    • Bosch 4100-09

For some reason I can't see the pics but I'm guessing about 19 squares of architecturals & 2-3 squares of 3-tab shingles depending on how cut up the roof is. I did a roof almost identical to yours 2 years ago. (contractor here)

Better get that roof done quick because lately shingles have been going up $5-$10 a square every 2 weeks.
    Last edited by iceman61; 06-23-2008, 09:43 AM.

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • sears BT3 clone

good guess! the roofing contractor estimated 21 squares. I was warned of price increases and purchased them a month ago. they are certainly a product directly connected to the price of oil.
      GAF-Elk Timberline prestique 40 year singles are going up. We are also adding 4 dormer vents.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Hellrazor
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Abyss, PA
        • Ridgid R4512

That would have been a good DIY job...

Shingle prices are going crazy. My supplier sent out a notice that all shingle and vinyl products will be going up 10-20% in July.

Comment

• Tom Slick
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • sears BT3 clone

Finished

The roof project is all finished up. Took about a week with the small crews that were used (roofer is a one man band).

Roof wrapped with synthetic underlayment, no flashing or drip edge installed

Roof finished with almost everything painted to match. I just have to finish painting the new flashing under the tiny gable.

19 squares was a dead-on guess. The roofer ordered 21 and took 2 back with him. His cost is $68 a square for the shingles.

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

The color of the new roof is a BIG improvement to your curb appeal. But you never thought you'd hear that, did you?

Comment

• jhart
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
              • BT3100

Always nice to have a project like that done. Looks great. As cgallery said, adds a lot to the curb appeal
              Joe
              "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• iceman61
                • Oct 2007
                • West TN
                • Bosch 4100-09

Good deal on purchasing those shingles early. Last week I checked on GAF-Elk Timberline 30 year singles & the price had jumped from $55/SQ to $75/SQ in 2 days. I didn't think to ask what the 40yr shingles had gone up to.
                Good looking job!

Comment

• ragswl4
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Winchester, Ca
                  • C-Man 22114

Very, very nice looking roof. The house looks beautiful after all work completed. Amazing what a new roof will do for the look.
                  RAGS
                  Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...