Lawn Tool Storage

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • os1kne
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2003
    • 901
    • Atlanta, GA
    • BT3100

    #1

    Lawn Tool Storage

    I suspect that the majority of us here share our "shop" with our garage and lawn tools.

    Three years ago, my wife and I moved into our home. When we bought our home, we bought it as somewhat of a fixer-upper. Our old house had a shed for storing the lawn tools, our current house doesn't have a shed (but I hope to build one later this year).

    Anyway, over the past three years I've done a number of substantial home improvements, but there have always been higher priorities than the shed and lawn tool organization. I've looked at a number of the options available at the home centers, catalogs, etc. but I couldn't find anything that was large enough, flexible enough, strong enough or inexpensive enough for me.

    I had a brain-storm for a simple, inexpensive, flexible lawn tool storage solution and thought that I'd share it - as well as give some tips for what I'd do differently if I were to do it again.

    I took some 2x4 scraps and used my drill press with a 9/16" spade bit to drill angled holes every 2 inches 1.5 inches down from the top edge of the 2x4 (the exact angle isn't important - I used a scrap of 1/2" plywood under the top edge of the 2x4 for my angle).

    I then cut some 1/2 in. rebar into 8 inch lenghts (the rebar is a little over 1/2 in., which is why I drilled the 9/16" holes). I drilled holes in the handles of lawn tools where needed for a loop of 1/8" nylon rope for the tool to hang from.

    If I were to do it again, I think that I'd use 1/2 in. hardwood dowel instead of the rebar - the rebar was cheap, but I tore up a few recip. saw blades and a fair amount of time. I was initially concerned that dowel wouldn't be strong enough, but in hindsight I think that the 6-8 inch lengths of dowel would be plenty strong enough.

    I should have taken a before pic - it was a pile of lawn tools that took up a corner of my garage. Here's a pic of the after. I think it was a rainy Saturday morning well spent. Thanks for reading.
    Attached Files
    Bill
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • 4187
    • Lexington, SC.

    #2
    Looks good. I did something similar with about an 8 foot 2x4 and I used 1/2 inch dowels. They are indeed strong enough. I routed a bead on the 2x4 to dress it up a bit and painted it white to match the garage wall. Same idea as you had.

    Jim

    Comment

    • sthompson82
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2005
      • 45
      • woodstock, ga.

      #3
      Funny, I just did pretty much the same thing last night. That pile of lawn tools in the corner has been driving me nuts. I used a scrap piece of 1x4x60" with 1/2" dowels on 3" centers and then used 3" lag bolts to hold it to the wall. Seems to be strong enough for my purposes so far.

      Quick question about the shelves on the left side of the picture...Do those brackets seem to be strong enough. Hanging a LOT of shelving in my garage is my next project and I have looked at everything from cheap metal brackets to commercial shelving. At this point, Im leaning towards some heavy duty metal brackets lagged into studs every 32", with a 18" osb top.
      I do what I do

      Comment

      • cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • 15216
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

        #4
        Originally posted by JimD
        Looks good. I did something similar with about an 8 foot 2x4 and I used 1/2 inch dowels. They are indeed strong enough. I routed a bead on the 2x4 to dress it up a bit and painted it white to match the garage wall. Same idea as you had.

        Jim

        I did the same thing with 1/2" dowels at an angle up, for extension cords, and got them set up for easy finding. Didn't rout any beads though.
        .

        Comment

        • os1kne
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2003
          • 901
          • Atlanta, GA
          • BT3100

          #5
          Originally posted by sthompson82
          Quick question about the shelves on the left side of the picture...Do those brackets seem to be strong enough. Hanging a LOT of shelving in my garage is my next project and I have looked at everything from cheap metal brackets to commercial shelving. At this point, Im leaning towards some heavy duty metal brackets lagged into studs every 32", with a 18" osb top.
          IMO, the shelf brackets are more than strong enough, provided that they're screwed into studs. The problem is usually with sagging of the shelving material. Depending on what you're storing on the shelves, you may want to have a shelf bracket every 16" or use thicker shelving material. Google "sagulator" for a slick calculator that figures out shelf sag for a given load on various types of shelving materials over a given span.

          Good luck.
          Bill

          Comment

          Working...