Where can I find cheap, good, utility faucets?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonmulzer
    • Dec 2007
    • Indianapolis, IN

Where can I find cheap, good, utility faucets?

I need a faucet for the utility sink in the basement. I have looked at Lowe's, Home Depot and Menards and so far have not seen what I need for a price I want to pay. I need a high reach faucet that I can hook a garden hose to and would much prefer one with a sprayer attachment. I make wine and beer so I need the high reach to be able to fill and rinse carboys and such. I need to be able to hook a hose to it (with an adapter if necessary) to use bottle washers and other stuff. I prefer it to be metal because the faucet I have right now is plastic and the fine threads the adapter screws on to do not hold well and are stripping out.

Does anyone know of a good source for what I need? I am not picky about looks because it is in the basement. All I need is something that has a high reach, made of metal and has a sprayer and the cheaper the better.
    "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"
  • mrojec
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2006
    • Englewood, CO
    • Ryobi BT3000 (for now)

Do you have a used building materials warehouse in your area? Here in Denver there's a place called Bud's Warehouse that sells recycled, overstocked, and leftover building materials. There's also a place called Do it Urself Plumbing that sells recycled and antique fixtures. Sometimes good bargains can be had at these places.

Comment

• jonmulzer
      • Dec 2007
      • Indianapolis, IN

Good suggestion, and one I had not thought about yet. I will have to look into that. The thing is, I don't care to pay the money for a quality faucet, but the only ones that have the features I need, that I have seen so far, are $300+ and I will be ****ed if I am going to have a better looking faucet next to the washer and dryer than I have in the kitchen.
      "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

I haven't found any cheap utlilty faucets, they seem to be more expensive then standard kitchen faucets.
        Mcmaster carr and grainger both carry them in the $150 - $200 range.
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• SCBob
          Forum Newbie
          • Apr 2006
          • South Carolina
          • Ridgid ts24241

Found one on HD's web for $20. Look for the cheap PVC utlilty sink, they should be in the area.

Comment

• backpacker85
            Established Member
            • Sep 2006
            • Dickson, TN
            • BT3100-1

Not sure if this would work in your situation, but I had something similar in a house years ago.

What I did was use a swiveling faucet that was NOT high-reach, but mounted a length of 6x3x1/4 angle to the wall 18" above the utility sink, then mounted the faucet to this "shelf/bracket". The water supplies came from below, so I just extended them up the wall to the underside of the angle and the connections were exposed and at a comfortable level.

Again, not sure if your situation would allow this, but hey......who says the faucet needs to be attached to the sink?
            Ken W.

Comment

• jonmulzer
              • Dec 2007
              • Indianapolis, IN

That is the exact type of solution I love. Great idea actually and I love it because it is so outside the box. Now I just need to get a faucet to replace this plastic POS I have now. With that and a quick connect garden hose setup on the end of the faucet I should be good to go.

Comment

• Hellrazor
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Abyss, PA
                • Ridgid R4512

The goose neck faucets with the threading for a hose are expensive and weak. You would be better off installing a T in the cold water line and installing a seperate hose bib.

If you need cold & hot water, install a T in both the hot and cold line, install a ball valve on each, pipe them both back to single hose bib. Use the 2 ball valves to adjust the water temp for the hose.

Comment

• jonmulzer
                  • Dec 2007
                  • Indianapolis, IN

Nice thought, but I also need a faucet not just a hose connection.

Comment

• kramer katt
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • SO CAL, USA
                    • BT3100 and Craftsman 100

laundry sink faucets

you might try looking for a used set from a restaurant or bar. There are quiet a few models and all generally are much more sturdy than a home model. Used in sinks and also mop sinks
                    T&S Brass is one company that comes to mind
                    Chicago Faucet also makes very good faucets but a little pricey when new
                    kk
                    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler
                    --Albert Einstein

Comment

• Tom Slick
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2005
                      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                      • sears BT3 clone

you could make your own with copper pipe as hellrazor elluded to.

have a valve on both hot and cold, come out of the valves and go into a tee. this is the center section of your "faucet"
                      from the tee run a pipe up as high as as you'd like, then 2 elbows to make a "U" pointing back down. this is the "high reach" portion of the "faucet"
                      solder a 3/4 GHT male on the end and you have your own home made faucet featuring high flow, custom high reach, and 3/4 ght threaded end. it would have a cool industrial look too.
                      if you used the thicker copper pipe (M?) it should be plenty rigid enough.
                      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• williwatt
                        Established Member
                        • Aug 2007
                        • Springfield, TN
                        • Sears 21829

I don't know anything about this company, but they have several inexpensive faucets that look like they could be what you are looking for:

http://www.plumbingworld.com/valleyfaucets_instock.html

Comment

• TCAS
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Feb 2006

About every type of Utility and Laundry Faucet you can think of here at this site...
                          http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Cat/La...cets/1081/List

Comment

• cabinetman
                            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                            • Jun 2006
                            • So. Florida
                            • Delta

Originally posted by jonmulzer
                            Nice thought, but I also need a faucet not just a hose connection.

Hose bibs are a faucet. You can use standard hose connections for this type of installation. These come in brass, are cheap, and are foolproof:

Comment

• jonmulzer
                              • Dec 2007
                              • Indianapolis, IN

Originally posted by cabinetman
                              Hose bibs are a faucet. You can use standard hose connections for this type of installation. These come in brass, are cheap, and are foolproof:

What I meant was, I would like it to articulate also. Know what I mean?

Comment

Working...