• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rslaugh
    • Sep 2003
    • Red Lion, PA, USA.
    • Ridgid

Antique Vanity

-We moved into a victorian house about 9 months ago where my wife has opened up an Antique/Vintage Clothing store on the first floor and we live in the upper 2 floors. The house was seriously cosmetically challenged when we moved in and we've been working on it from day 1. Right now I'm finishing up the 2nd floor bathroom.

The bathtub had already been removed by the previous owner. I took out the vanity and sink and the toilet then pulled the cheap paneling off the walls. This is what it looked like after that.

Here's where the toilet was. Just what every DIY'er wants to see - cast iron soil pipe. all the waste pipe had to be removed and I cut the cast iron about 6" from the toilet flange.

New waste pipe scheme. The old toilet flange was just to the left of the cast iron/plastic junction. You can see it's new home about 40" to the left of there where the pipe does a 90 degree turn up and there is towel stuffed in the top. Flange is not on it yet.

LOML did not want a conventional vanity. She wanted something which more closely fit with the age of the house. Uh - actually that would be called an outhouse and it would be a bit nippy this time of year. The bathrooms were probably added around the 20's near as we can figure. She found an antique dresser with a mirror at a nearby antique store and then left the building when I started cutting it up for it's new life as a vanity.

Here it is with the mirror off and the drawers removed getting ready to cut out for the sink.

The sink cutout went well and I rebuilt the upper drawers so they were still useable. Yes - they're about 40% of original size but that seemed better than just making them dead fronts. I also had to put some guides in underneath the drawers to get them to slide out straight instead of flopping all over the place.

Here's the finished installation. As you can see there is still a bunch of stuff to be done around the vanity. The electrical is all roughed in and some of it is working but the outlets need to be installed yet and the temporary flourescent shop light will soon be replaced with a fixture over the mirror.

The next big project is tiling around the tub and shower.
    Rick
    IG: @rslaugh_photography
    A sailor travels to many lands, Any place he pleases
    And he always remembers to wash his hands, So's he don't gets no diseases
    ~PeeWee Herman~
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

That looks awesome Rick, but I'll be hiding this post from my wife. I am wondering about the lower drawers. Are they still usable?
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Great idea and execution, Rick! With it in the bathroom, I assume you sealed it from every angle.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Rslaugh
        • Sep 2003
        • Red Lion, PA, USA.
        • Ridgid

Sorry it took so long to get back to this....

Richard - yes all the drawers are useable. the top 2 are significantly reduced in size to allow for the bulk of the area the bowl takes up but i think that is still better than dead fronts. If you look at the 5th picture down you can see these two drawers. The middle drawer has to accomodate the drain plumbing and has a slice missing out of the middle and about 20% of the back is gone. This will need some reinforcing before it gets used. The bottom drawer just needed a little notch in the back to pass by the bottom of the P-trap.

Pappy - I hate antiques that are completely stripped and refinished. It takes away all the patina and character (Think Joan Rivers). So the top was lightly sanded to just take the top layer of crap off and JoAnn used some product that basically moves some of the existing finish around. I then put a couple of coats of polycrylic on the entire piece and 3 extra coats on the top and base of the mirror.

I started tiling the tub surround yesterday and hope to get all the rest of the tiles up today. I'll post pics when that is done.
        Rick
        ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

What a pleasant surprise. I was expecting a bowl, pitcher, and a chamber pot!
          Nicely done!
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Rslaugh
            • Sep 2003
            • Red Lion, PA, USA.
            • Ridgid

Almost done with the tiling. Grouting is next. I couldn't get back far enough for a decent shot - sorry. LOML is happy with the design so I get to eat for another week - as long as I make the reservation and I buy.

Last edited by Rslaugh; 02-10-2008, 11:15 AM.
            Rick
            ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

• Popeye
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Woodbine, Ga
              • Grizzly 1023SL

Heck of a nice job Rick.... but tell me the room isn't gonna stay pink Pat
              Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Rslaugh
                • Sep 2003
                • Red Lion, PA, USA.
                • Ridgid

Originally posted by Popeye
                Heck of a nice job Rick.... but tell me the room isn't gonna stay pink Pat
                Pat - I didn't pick the colors - honestly I didn't - really.

For my significant other reds and pinks are neutral colors. Yes - it is going to stay pink.
                Rick
                ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

• Anna
                  • Feb 2006
                  • CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

Rick, that's beautiful work. I also love the dresser/vanity. Your wife must be a happy camper.

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

Rick,

Nice job on both. It looks like you did something like I have done for the tiling. I use inexpensive white tile for most of the surround but mix in some colored tile for added interest.

Caulk the corners and at the bottom (not grout). Grout is inflexible and will crack.

Jim

Comment

• chopnhack
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • Florida
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Good job Rick, fast too!
                      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• billwmeyer
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Weir, Ks, USA.
                        • BT3000

Great job! I have been wanting to do the same thing as you did with the vanity, but haven't found a piece that I wanted to pay that much and then cut up.

Bill
                        "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Rslaugh
                          • Sep 2003
                          • Red Lion, PA, USA.
                          • Ridgid

Originally posted by Anna
                          Rick, that's beautiful work. I also love the dresser/vanity. Your wife must be a happy camper.
                          She is and we both just want it to be done now. I still have the ceiling to paint, crown molding to install, finish the tile floor, finish the wiring, find the right light and put in some shelves. The closer I get to being done the more stuff that goes on the list.

Originally posted by JimD
                          Rick,

Nice job on both. It looks like you did something like I have done for the tiling. I use inexpensive white tile for most of the surround but mix in some colored tile for added interest.

Caulk the corners and at the bottom (not grout). Grout is inflexible and will crack.

Jim
                          Jim - while the white tiles are inexpensive ($0.13 vs 0.28 for the black) we did that more to match the floor. the problem with colored tiles (like pink for example or green) is that at some point it will probably look dated. Black & white is pretty timeless and clean looking (according to the decorating expert in our family) and wall color can always be changed. As near as we can figure and research the bathrooms were created in our house about 80-90 years ago so even though the house is victorian we went with more of a 20's decoish theme in the bathroom.

Originally posted by billwmeyer
                          Great job! I have been wanting to do the same thing as you did with the vanity, but haven't found a piece that I wanted to pay that much and then cut up.

Bill
                          Start pricing antique looking vanities and then $300-400 for a piece to cut up doesn't look so bad. I didn't see anything I liked for less than $800 and they were more in the $1500 - $2000 range. This part went a lot smoother than I thought it would.
                          Last edited by Rslaugh; 02-11-2008, 03:30 PM.
                          Rick
                          ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

Working...