• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Another ceiling fan question

So while getting to check why my ceiling fan has slowed down (but the lights work), I dismantled the light portion today, realized I stood a better chance doing away with the remote and making the fan/light controls manual, ie, using the string/chains. I am guessing the remote thing has burned out, the fan might still be okay.

It has a remote box inside, . Looks like this :

note the burn on the side. Took it to HD (its a Hampton Bay fan), and was told this was told it's an older version, with little chance of a replacement.

So, decided that I might as well try to replace the remote to a 'manual' type, with the down-chains. But, the connection from the fan looks like this :

where all the wires go into that grid thingy which was going into the corresponding grid thingy in the remote box here :

So, to eliminate the remote, I am guessing I'd need to remove the 'grid' from the fan's wires and attach them individually. But how do i identify which goes where? And there seems to be 5 or 6 different colored wires .

I even got two separate wire-units : one for the fan lights, another for the fan, something like this :

Frankly I'd thought it'd be simple to chuck the remote...
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

That remote is so integrated into the works of the fan that it's gonna be tough to do away with it. You see, the unit you want to throw away is also the speed control for the fan, so even if you figure out the wiring, the fan's gonna only run wide open with just a switch to turn it on and off. I think I'd look at replacing the whole fan, if it were me.

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

Ditto - they are not worth fixing. To boot, it may leave the fan unsafe. I am sure that you will find a new style to your liking, they have so many. Of course, dont buy one with the remote
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• FL Buckeye
        Established Member
        • Aug 2005
        • WC Florida and Crossville, TN
        • BT3100, Grizzly 1023SL

What they said. I'd just start shopping for a new fan. If you want to see what remote receivers are available, check out this site: http://www.eceilingfans.com/hampton_...ling_fans.html
        Under remote controls they show similar replacement parts, but you would have to call them to confirm and get a price.
        Lanny

The older you get, the better you used to be.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

I also vote for a new fan. Even if you figured out the wiring , you still won't know what shape the motor is in.

Comment

• Crash2510
            • Feb 2006
            • North Central Ohio

the fan you are depicting still has the standard hampton bay connector see if you can measure what size light you have and go back to see if you can still find a light kit that matches because it shouldn't be a problem

these don't change that much the new light kit will have all the pull chains integrated
            Phil In Ohio
            The basement woodworker

Comment

Working...