• Show
Clear All
  • jziegler
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Salem, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by crokett
    I voted offset color but you should paint it all white. All the trim in my house is white and always will be. That way when your wife wants you to paint the living room 4 times in 2 years (and she is making noises about a 5th) the trim always matches. Or when you are told your oldest has grown out of the current paint job and her room will be repainted, the white trim always matches.
    I agree on this one. Trim in all but two rooms of the house are in white (although LOML is planning to repaint some of the trim in some rooms other colors, but she is doing that work or it won't get done). Makes it easy and goes with everything.

The color visualizer from Sherwin-williams is useful, helped out for some of our rooms. I also like their paints much better than anything I've tried from the big box stores...

Jim

Comment

• oakchas
      Established Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Jefferson City, TN, USA
      • BT3000

Paint.

I love my wood trim. But I would never do it again. Doors and windows are not square. Cutting trim for the invisible joint is not easy even with "cheats."

Same color is normal in federal style. Contrasting/complimenting color looks good too. With painted trim putty is invisible and it all looks good.

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Many thanks for the input, everyone. The decision was firm on the Master Suite. Maple trim against the rose walls. I will need to find 2 Birch doors that are light and they should match the trim close enough. The closet will get 3 custom sliding doors with mirrors set in Maple frames.

Painted doors through the rest of the house will save some time and bucks as will being able to use MDF trim except in the bath rooms.

Now to get an executive decision on the colors...
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Agree with Crockett and would not only got white as it works with any wall color... I would go high gloss or at the least semi-gloss.

Comment

• Seedy
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2007

A couple of years ago, I remodeled an old farmhouse. I decided to replace all of the trim.
            I made it all with old pine 1x6 's used as concrete forms that I had on hand. I routered both edges with a fancy ogee bit and the ripped them in half. I used shorter pieces for shoe.We painted it all the same color as the walls. For accent though, we painted the trim with a semigloss oil base enamel with the walls flat. I prefer a semigloss enamel on trim because it is a lot easier to keep clean.

-Seedy

Comment

Working...