• Show
Clear All
  • messmaker
    Veteran Member
    • May 2004
    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
    • Ridgid 2424

Lowe's install

I have had two experiences with them. A dishwasher as well as a countertop. They were both super easy. I got one for free and one at a reduction. No more. They had to come back for the dishwasher install? They are on visit # 4 for the countertop and I am still not close(The only thing they have right is the color).This does not include the couple dozen phone calls. I think they suck. How have you guys fared?
    spellling champion Lexington region 1982
  • Hellrazor
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Abyss, PA
    • Ridgid R4512

I wouldn't use them. They subcontract to anyone with tools.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Here is a Home Depot expose'. Probably no different with Lowes. Watch past the commercial if one shows up.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Wouldn't use 'em on a bet...

Comment

• vanguard
          Established Member
          • Jul 2005
          • Brighton, MI, USA.
          • Ridgid TS2400SL

My experience with a Lowes delivery and installation on laundry appliances.

Comment

• Cheeky
            • Nov 2006
            • westchester cty, new york
            • Ridgid TS2400LS

their appliances are very expensive IMO.

i recently bought a Bosch range for the kitchen and saved $500 from Lowes' price. the store i purchased it from has free del and removal....no waiting for the free after rebate delivery. i would have had to wait 4 weeks for Lowes delivery, and got it the next day from the mom and pop.

i know somebody who had french doors installed by HD and the quality is pathetic.
            Pete

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

I had a good quality carpet installed by a HD contractor. The person doing
              the install measured a little too short. The installers, though, did an
              excellent job. The installer could have used the leftovers to install on the
              stairs but pointed out the knap wouldn't be running in the right direction. He
              ordered more, came back in a few days and installed it properly without me
              having to pay for the extra material. I was very pleased with that install.

I also bought an over-the-range microwave. The installer ran a new outlet,
              mounted the microwave and was done. I was pleased with that one, too.

Paul

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
                • Dec 2006
                • hagerstown, md

maybe it's just me, but unless it was a gas hookup direct to the mains or a connection to the main elec panel, I'd do it myself.
                パトリック
                daiku woodworking
                ^deshi^
                neoshed

Comment

• JSUPreston
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Montgomery, AL.
                  • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

It's not just Lowe's. The reason I cut my finger so severly after Thanksgiving is because the installers from HD would not install my in-law's new dryer correctly. Took several phone calls to get someone to do it right.

First load of laundry got ruined in the wash as well. Comes to find out that even though hot and cold were labeled, they were still installed backwards.

If you want it done right, you have to either do it yourself or know enough to be able ride the installer until the job is done to satisfaction.
                  "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• messmaker
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2004
                    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                    • Ridgid 2424

If you want it done right, you have to either do it yourself or know enough to be able ride the installer until the job is done to satisfaction.[/QUOTE from ATCGPAUL]

The plain truth is spoken.
                    spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• Tequila
                      • Aug 2004
                      • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

I had a water heater installed by a Lowes sub when I first bought this house. It took him 4 hours to install it (real tough job - he had to solder two pipe fittings.) It started leaking 1/2 hour after he left. It took two callbacks before he finally got the joint to stop leaking.
                      -Joe

Comment

• Scottydont
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Edmonds, WA, USA.
                        • Delta Industrial Hybrid

I never hire a contractor who does not have their own business name and reputation on the line. Subs that are using Lowes or HD are doing so for a reason if you know what I mean.

I just went through having carpet installed but I checked out the big box stores, Costco and were very frustrated about how unprofessional and difficult it was. I finally ended up with working with a local carpet distributor who hires their own installers. It was easy, they communicated well and the installer showed up on time and did a perfect job.
                        Scott
                        "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• BrianStark
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jan 2007
                          • San Diego, CA
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by messmaker
                          I think they suck. How have you guys fared?
                          I bought a new washing machine from Lowes a few months back and had them deliver and install. The delivery & installation went smoothly. I had great customer service at the store and I am a happy customer.

Delivery & installation services seem to be always contracted out. Not sure where the efficiency is in that, unless a store is trying to distance themselves from delivery/install team in case of problems.

My advice is to ask the store for a (written?) policy on how to handle any problems that may come up during delivery.

Curious thought for those that may know... do stores use different delivery & installation teams for people that buy extended warranties than those that don't buy the extended protection?

Brian

Comment

• compgodjds
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jul 2006

We were going to have HD do our countertops in our old house. We picked out what we wanted and they said we had to demo our kitchen countertops ourselves then they would come out out and measure and template. They told us without batting there eyes that it would take 3 months until they will have it installed. I asked so we would be without a sink and since we had a built in stove top a stove also for 3 months. They told us that was correct. I said no thank you and put in laminate.

I have had problems special ordering from Lowes and have never ordered from them again.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2005
                              • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by BrianStark
                              Delivery & installation services seem to be always contracted out. Not sure where the efficiency is in that, unless a store is trying to distance themselves from delivery/install team in case of problems.
                              Acutally the reason HD does this is that they do not acutally carry these items in inventory. When you buy a GE dishwasher HD never takes possession of it at any time. They complete your order, electronically transmit the order and delivery info to GE who in turn schedules delivery and installtion. It's a great business model and an incredibly efficient distribution system. Reduces inventory and overhead costs substantially.

I got my fridge from HD or Lowes, I forget. The installer was going to unbox and roll the fridge from the front door, through the house, to the kitchen . . . . on my newly installed hardwood floors. Those wheels are about 1/4" wide. They hand trucked it to the kitchen and unboxed. They connected then slide it back into the opening. Of course you could see the wheel marks in the floor. Quote : "Oh, those are real wood floors. I thought they were Pergo which would have been fine." Ok, so you're stupid AND you are going to insult my hardwood floors.

Comment

Working...