• Show
Clear All
  • ryanps
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2006
    • Maumee, Ohio
    • ShopFox W1677

Dishwasher question

Dishwasher died on Turkey-day. Picking up a new one tonight. My question is about the old-one (maybe 8 years or more older) -- is there a lot of scrap metal that could be stripped from its body and then sold at the scrap yard?
    Or would it only amount to a few dollars and I should just dump the whole unit and not worry about it.

Thanks in advance,
    Ryan
  • Hellrazor
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Abyss, PA
    • Ridgid R4512

I wouldn't bother, not sure it is worth the effort. Stainless is where the $$ is according to a friend of mine.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

to-da-dump to-da-dump to-da-dump-dump-dump...

Comment

• ryanps
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2006
        • Maumee, Ohio
        • ShopFox W1677

Thanks guys. Fortunately we have free dumpster days in my area. To the dump it shall go.

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

Around here if you put it on the curb with a 'For-Sale' sign it'll be gone in no time. If I use a 'Free' sign it would never go away.
          Erik

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

you might try to find an appliance recycler, they often will pick up for free.
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

I'm replacing windows (21) and thought that it would pay off to cash in the old aluminum. One of the requirements was that it had to be clean of any other metals for the high price of 50 cents a pound. At the time I also disassembled a 30' awning from a travel trailer. I had to disassemble all the windows, take out the glass and cut it up to fit in the garbage can and then place all of it in the back of the truck. What a mess. Took about a half day, and collected about $40. Yeah, big deal. Never again.

Comment

• jziegler
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2005
                • Salem, NJ, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
                Around here if you put it on the curb with a 'For-Sale' sign it'll be gone in no time. If I use a 'Free' sign it would never go away.
                I thought that was just my area..... It has worked before though.

Sometimes you don't want it anymore, or don't want to fix it, but maybe someone else can get some use for it, or has enough spare time that they want to strip it. Better than having it end up in a dump taking up space...

Jim

Comment

• jhart
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Unfortunately, in my area, someone will strip it and leave the mess all over. City of Mpls has recycling of 2 major items with the collection days, or a voucher system (4-6 per year) where you can bring a load of up to 2000 lbs to their recycle sites. They take just about anything.
                  Of course, we pay for it with the cost of our monthly sewer, water and trash bills, but it does make it convenient.
                  Joe
                  "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

Working...