• Show
Clear All
  • Stormbringer
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Floral Park, NY
    • Bosch 4000

Wiring Multiple Motion Detector Lights

I’d like to set up two individual motion/heat sensor (detector) lights. One would be at the front of the house and the other 40ft away at the back of the house- same side. I was wondering if there is a way to have each one trigger the other? Anotherwords, when one detects motion they both come on.

The light consists of one spotlight and a motion (heat) sensing unit. The wiring is straightforward.

The leads inside each fixture consist of:

a single black that accepts the hot feed. This goes to the actual sensor unit then to the light socket. When motion is detected, it opens and allows juice to flow to the spotlight.

a pigtailed set (2) of white wires (motion sensor and light socket neutral wires) that would connect to the incoming white wire

and an obvious ground.

Wiring them up as a typical three-way really wouldn't work as the first one would turn them both on but if the second unit detects motion it would turn them both off (In visualizing this I'm replacing the actual sensing units with wall switches).

I'll assume that I would cook the units if I spliced into and connected them together at the point after the black exits the sensor but before the socket. In essence, two hot feeds to one fixture.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Last edited by Stormbringer; 11-19-2007, 05:52 PM.
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

I knew I saw this somewhere else:

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...v=#Post3340096

Paul

Comment

• maxparot
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
      • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

It could be done with X10 motion sensors and universal modules.
      Opinions are like gas;
      I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Ya beat me to it Paul. Greg, the link Paul posted is a good one. My brother did what you want to do using the info from Mr Mike in that link.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...