can a power outlet and telephone line reside in a double wall gang box?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cheeky
    • Nov 2006
    • westchester cty, new york
    • Ridgid TS2400LS

can a power outlet and telephone line reside in a double wall gang box?

i'd like to move a phone outlet from the wall down to countertop level (kitchen). there is a power outlet directly below, so I was wondering if i could replace that single wall box with a double gang, and have the phone line with the power in the same box?
    Pete
  • mschrank
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2004
    • Hood River, OR, USA.
    • BT3000

It's generally recommended against combining data/com wiring with electrical. Actually, for best performance, data/com wires and electrical wires should be on separate sides of a stud cavity, and if you have to cross electrical wiring with data/com wiring, it should be at 90 angles.

If you combine the two in one box, I think you risk "buzzing" on your phone line.
    Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

I honestly don't know if the codes would prohibit it, but I can think of some practical reasons you might want to avoid it. First, you may introduce AC noise into the phone system, given the close proximity. Second, you might have equipment problems if a spike on the AC line was to arc over to the phone line. And third, I don't think you want to put anything in your ear that might get live with 120VAC. Probably best if you keep the two isolated from each other.

Comment

• mineengineer
        Established Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
        • BT3000 and BT3100 Frankensaw

Not Usually

Usually inspectors would frown on that idea if the 110 is in the same box as the phone line. If you can find a speciallty box that separates the two wires in the enclosure(have seen some 2gang boxes that have a divider for this purpose that are usually plastic with a slot for the plastic divider to make the box actually two separte enclosures. Then you would have to source out a specialty wall plate with a duplex outlet on one side and a phone jack on the other or you could use a two gang decorator style cover with a phone jack insert on one dide and a duplex on the other. Will try to find the link to the boxes, think they are made by carlon or l/s.
        Link

Comment

• Cheeky
          • Nov 2006
          • westchester cty, new york
          • Ridgid TS2400LS

great advice as always. having the line directly over the outlet now worries me. i'm going to see if they cross and remediate if necessary.

i appreciate it!
          Pete

Comment

• mineengineer
            Established Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
            • BT3000 and BT3100 Frankensaw

found them for you

Cantex makes them, I used to sell them at Lowes when I was an electrical dude there in another life. http://www.cantexinc.com/Switch&OutletMaxCap.htm

Still wouldn't advise combining them but thats just me.......check to make sure local code will permit it though. Don't have a recent code book with me or I would check it out for you.
            Link

Comment

• Dale In Corona
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2005
              • Corona, CA, USA.

You should check code in your area but in most places that is a no no. Reason being you do not want to mix low and high voltage systems in the same knockout box and have someone working on what they believe to be a low voltage system and come in contact with 110.

Dale

Comment

• thrytis
                • May 2004
                • Concord, NC, USA.
                • Delta Unisaw

I think i saw an add-on low voltage box in either Home Depot or Lowes that attaches next to an existing regular voltage box. You can then use a two wide cover to cover both the boxes. That might be easier then replacing the whole box and keep them divided. Interference might still be an issue.
                Eric

Comment

• knotley
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2003
                  • Canada.

As a general rule they can cross at 90 degrees, but it would be much better to give the phone line (is it Plain Old Telephone - POTs?) it's own box.

The best source I have ever read: www.swhowto.com

Comment

• Crash2510
                    • Feb 2006
                    • North Central Ohio

yes you can do this you just need to use something like this we use them all of the time

Last edited by Crash2510; 11-16-2007, 07:14 PM.
                    Phil In Ohio
                    The basement woodworker

Comment

• Slik Geek
                      • Dec 2006
                      • Lake County, Illinois
                      • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by Crash2510
                      yes you can do this you just need to use something like this we use them all of the time
                      But the power wiring and phone cable are run separately, right?

Comment

• Crash2510
                        • Feb 2006
                        • North Central Ohio

Originally posted by Slik Geek
                        But the power wiring and phone cable are run separately, right?
                        when we run something like this we typically run them seperately unless their is some circumstances that do not allow it even then we have never had an interference problem. If you are to worried about it use shielded cable.

The easiest thing would be running ac on one side of 2 x 4 and the cable on the opposite 2x4 in the same chase.

like i have said we have never experienced a problem especially using shielded cable
                        Phil In Ohio
                        The basement woodworker

Comment

• DaveStL
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2006
                          • St Louis, MO, USA.
                          • Jet 10: Xacta RT

Originally posted by Dale In Corona
                          You should check code in your area but in most places that is a no no. Reason being you do not want to mix low and high voltage systems in the same knockout box and have someone working on what they believe to be a low voltage system and come in contact with 110.

Dale
                          I wouldn't mix them, either, for many of the reasons already stated but-- many folks don't realize that ring voltage on a phone is around 100V.

Dave

Comment

Working...