X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gbtower
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2007

wood for exterior "bench"

We're putting in hollow block raised planters in the back yard and haven't found a suitable cap stone. I thought about capping the planters with painted wood instead. I'm trying to figure out if I should use a certain kind of wood for durability purposes since it will be painted so inherent appearance isn't necessarily a concern. I figure it shouldn't see any more wear than normal household trim, so standard fir 2x's should be fine, right?

Thanks,
    Gerald
  • mashtun
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2007

wood for exterior "bench"

Well I think you would be better of using one of the rot resistant woods, such as Teak or Cypress.

Whatever you use I would suggest beveling the top from the center out, so the water runs off the board. Just a degree or two would do it.

In my old porch I had a piece of lumber that was bowed Upward, and water sat in it, and rotted it within a year.

John

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Are these actual benches to sit on or just caps? If caps, what color are you painting them? White vinyl never rots and never has to be painted.

If you are going to sit on them and it will be painted I would just go with treated 2x lumber. Just make sure it is well-dried before you paint it.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• gbtower
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2007

These are primarily caps, but will also serve as additional seating area (and "balance beams" for the kids) since the planters are knee high. They will be painted either a textured dark brown (same as balcony floor paint) or more probably just white (same as house trim).

I'll definitely add the slight out of level.

Now that you bring it up, I did spot some of that composite deck material at the store. Maybe that would also work (looking into it now)?

Thanks for ideas

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

The deck material would work depending on span and how it is supported. How long is the span?
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• gbtower
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2007

It can be supported whatever way would work. The hollow blocks for the planter are already up. I was thinking of using brackets embedded in some of the hollows to which I could attach the tops, so the span can be set to whatever works.

Choicedek is looking promising. Just need to see if the available colors are acceptable.

Comment

Working...