• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Installing a Post

Part of the kitchen bench project is a 25" high knee wall and a column to the ceiling. The column will be a hollow box and will be attached to the 2x framing for the kneewall and a plate on the floor. At the ceiling, is attaching a plate to the sheetrock with some molly-bolt type anchors gonna be enough or should bite the bullet and add framing between the joists in the attic?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Chomp chomp.
    Larry

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

You will probably regret it down the road if you don't tie to something rigid up there. If it's easy to get to the spot, I'd definitely go in the attic and scab between the trusses. If it's not an easy reach, you might consider one of those bracket gizmos that you can put in from below that is designed to mount a ceiling fan (but you will need a hole in the ceiling). Otherwise, I think the mollies will loosen up a little every time somebody knocks into that post (and they will), and before long you will have a wobbly post and a scuffed up ceiling. If you gotta go that way, I think toggle bolts that are cinched down good will work better than mollies.

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

If I could not get to it in the attic, I would cut the drywall and put something in that way (and then patch the drywall). Sooner or later, somebody is going to bang into that wall or lean on that post, or sit on that wall and get to wiggling around or.... or ....

Jim

Comment

• Hellrazor
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Abyss, PA
          • Ridgid R4512

David,

Do it right the first time, it's easier in the long run.

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Yeah. I really knew the answer before I posted. This is one of those if you gotta ask.... type questions. And actually its not so much going up in the attic as it is moving all the stuff in the closet to get access.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• big tim
              • Mar 2006
              • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
              • SawStop PCS

You knew all along, didn't you?
              So clean out the closet and get up there!

Tim
              Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by crokett
                Yeah. I really knew the answer before I posted. This is one of those if you gotta ask.... type questions. And actually its not so much going up in the attic as it is moving all the stuff in the closet to get access.
                Hahaha LOL . . I have several projects like that. I have to ask and just hope someone tells me a simpler answer! Then go clean out the . . whatever and get started.

One of my best friends used to say - "Got a project you need to do? Just get started! The hardest part is usually 'just getting started.'"

So - Get your gumption up and go!
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

Y'know... Now might be a good time to put in that pull-down stair access you think about every time you wedge yourself and your ladder into that closet...

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

A little tip I learned from a burglar alarm installer. For the exact location of the post, drop a plum line from the sheetrock to get a center on the post. Poke a small hole through the sheetrock with a stiff wire. When you get up into the attic, you find the wire and that's where you add the bracing.

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks for the tip Mike, that is a good one.

And Cracker, attic stairs are on the list but not right now. SWMBO wants the bench done before Turkey Day so we will have more kitchen seating for guests.
                      David

Comment

Working...