How compatable are different PEX systems?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

How compatable are different PEX systems?

I want to get into PEX for future home improvement projects, but I have a few questions. The tools at HD to crimp are over priced, and I found a crimper set at this website- http://www.pexsupply.com/CategoryPre...ID=26&brandid=. However, I'm wondering if I get some supplies from this site, if I need the occasional fitting or crimping ring, will I be stuck with having to use only those parts? Or would the HD stuff be compatible with these tools/ the tubing/ the fittings? How interchangeable is all of this?

Thanks,
    Travis
  • scorrpio
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Wayne, NJ, USA.

There are generally three systems:
    1. ProPEX(Wirsbo), where you expand the tubing from inside before putting over a fitting. Tool is more expensive, and each PEX diameter needs its own size head. But it is considered to make a more durable connection, and less flow restricting (inner diameter of fittings is larger).

2. CinchClamp and CrimpRing (Watts, HydroPEX). Both compress PEX around a barbed fitting. Decent connection. Use same fitting type. Cinch clamp pros: one tool clamps all sizes, easier to remove when altering the system. Copper ring pros: rings cost about 2x less than stainless clamps, make for a more permanent connection. I think your HD is likely to carry one of these systems.

3. SharkBite. I dunno - I just don't trust them.

Comment

• BigguyZ
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2006
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

The system I'm looking at is the crimp connection with the black copper rings. I think that the ProPEX might be nice- but it's rediculously more expensive. The speed of the system is not worth the much much much higher price.

Comment

• jessrice
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006

Travis,

I have that exact set, bought it for my shop plumbing, and it has worked great. I have put in 500-600 feet of both hot and cold, 1/2 and 3/4" and didnt have one fitting leak. This was my first attempt at pex.

I just switched it from 1/2" to 3/4" to install my main supply, and didnt have to do any adjustments to get the crimp pressure correct.

It uses the Zurn black copper crimp rings, the same ones/brand that both HD and lowes sell.

Jesse

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by scorrpio
          3. SharkBite. I dunno - I just don't trust them.
          Next month Sharkbite will have been installed for my clothes washer supply for a year. Only leak I've had is the threaded side of the sharkbite that took the hosebib for the washer - my fault not enough teflon tape.

When I move the washer in a few months I will just decouple the fittings, move everything, cut in at the new location and use the same fittings. It will take longer to move the washer than make the connection.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...