• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hermit
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Somerset, PA, USA.

OK to paint plastic lattice?

I currently have some plastic lattice around my porch. I need to replace it, but want a different color than white. I want to match my foundation color. Do you think if I painted it, would it last, or just peel in a year?

Todd
  • Kensrock
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2006

Painting plastic lattice

Yes. There are some terrific primers for all types of plastics now that allow you to use just about any type of paint over the top of it. I can't remember the name brand that I used, but got it a a local department store. I had some plastic patio chairs, the Adirondack style, in green plastic, that were getting chalky. I wiped them with a cloth and alcohol, primed them and then sprayed them with an exterior polyurethane my wife picked of the shelf. Turned out great.

Ken

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

Good advice on the painting of plastics. I think the plastic lattice is also easier to paint than the original wooden type. Even when spraying.

I have seen the plastic type in two other colors than white. An almond color and the green that you usually see on those patio chairs. If one of those is closer to your color, you might forego the painting.
      Lee

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Krylon has a line of spray paints specifically for plastic. It's called "Fusion", and it goes right on plastics without need of a primer. Got mine at Lowes, and did some outdoor chairs. So far, so good.

Comment

• williwatt
          Established Member
          • Aug 2007
          • Springfield, TN
          • Sears 21829

HD also has a light gray plastic lattice that we thinking of using on a storage building.

Bill

Comment

• scorrpio
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Krylon has Fusion - goes directly on plastic, but color selection is limited. Rust-Oleum and Krylon both have a plastic primer that forms a good base for about any paint you spray on afterwards.

Comment

• hermit
              Established Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Somerset, PA, USA.

Thanks for the replies, but I need to find that primer and go that route I think. I need to use the same paint as my foundation for a match. Figured I could just spray it with the compressor. I've seen that fusion paint, but I figured the chances of a match were pretty slim.

Todd

Comment

• thiggy
                Established Member
                • Sep 2003
                • Alabama.
                • Craftsman Contractor

Everything that I have read about painting vinyl (such as your lattice panels) says that they should not be painted a color darker than the original color.
                SOW YOUR WILD OATS ON SATURDAY NIGHT - - - THEN ON SUNDAY PRAY FOR CROP FAILURE!

Comment

• Tom Slick
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2005
                  • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                  • sears BT3 clone

you can use sherwin williams upper end paints on vinyl, they are actually recommended by vinyl manufacturers, Azek is one. they have enough reflectivity to not effect the heat gain. it really only applies to vinyl siding and trim because it will buckle from the excess heat, I don't think lattice would have that problem.
                  Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...